The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #261
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

I can't recall ever kegging it. I mean, go ahead and see what you think, but I'd recommend you think of drinking the bulk of it before fall. Or brewing another batch later!
When the ingredients were pushing close to $120 for 10 gallons, this isn't one I'll be doing often.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #262
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
When the ingredients were pushing close to $120 for 10 gallons, this isn't one I'll be doing often.
Holy crap, that's insane!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #263
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Holy crap, that's insane!
Should it be less? How do you manage that without buying sacks of grain?

I did pick a pretty decent bourbon in Woodford Reserve. Probably closer to $110 since I used one vial of yeast between two ten gallon batches.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #264
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Should it be less? How do you manage that without buying sacks of grain?

I did pick a pretty decent bourbon in Woodford Reserve. Probably closer to $110 since I used one vial of yeast between two ten gallon batches.
I really can't answer since I do buy bags of grain (about 12oo lb. currently on hand) and lbs. of hops. You really are wasting money (IMO) by buying expensive bourbon. The bourbon flavor should be so well integrated that you shouldn't be able to really pick out the bourbon. That's why I recommend a decent, but not expensive, bourbon.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #265
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I really can't answer since I do buy bags of grain (about 12oo lb. currently on hand) and lbs. of hops. You really are wasting money (IMO) by buying expensive bourbon. The bourbon flavor should be so well integrated that you shouldn't be able to really pick out the bourbon. That's why I recommend a decent, but not expensive, bourbon.
If you don't mind, what are some examples of decent bourbon? I'll gladly save the Woodford if it the middle of the road stuff will suffice.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #266
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
If you don't mind, what are some examples of decent bourbon? I'll gladly save the Woodford if it the middle of the road stuff will suffice.
I made mine with Makers Mark. I can usually find it for right around $20 a bottle and I thought the vanilla notes of the bourbon would mesh well in this beer.

I could distinctly pick out the bourbon the first week or so after it was drinkable, but by three weeks in the keg everything had melded and subtled out well.

As a plus I had leftover Markers Mark to mix with mexican coke

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #267
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I made mine with Makers Mark. I can usually find it for right around $20 a bottle and I thought the vanilla notes of the bourbon would mesh well in this beer.

I could distinctly pick out the bourbon the first week or so after it was drinkable, but by three weeks in the keg everything had melded and subtled out well.

As a plus I had leftover Markers Mark to mix with mexican coke
Mexican coke? Is that a cola or something else?

I love bourbon, probably my favorite out of the spirits, so I really don't mind bourbon flavor sticking out.

I added 75 ml to 3.5 liters of beer that didn't fit in my secondaries with the vanilla and bottled it. The bit that didn't fill a bottle was tasty, no vanilla, but I didn't think the bourbon flavor was too strong and was barely noticeable. I'm wondering if I need to add more than 10ml per pint. I was just going to evenly split a fifth between the two kegs and then rack on top of it. I think I had Maker's 46 in my decanter for the bottled beer.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #268
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I used Makers Mark as well because I had it on hand

Mexican Coke is Coca Cola but in Mexico they use real cane sugar and IMO it is superior to that made in the good ol USA

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #269
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
I use Jim Beam Black. Agian, I feel that if you can identify the bourbon used, you used too much.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #270
DeToX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hello everyone - total noob to the board, not a noob to the brew. I know this thread has been dormant since Feb, but I am looking to get this recipe underway for the fall season. I was hoping I could get a reply from Denny himself on a couple of questions. I have spent the better part of my afternoon reading 27 pages, start to finish, so I will make the questions short.

Denny...

1) According to the original recipe (and according to another post), the mash-in is done with 5.75 gallons of water - correct? Leaving an additional 3.5 gallons (+/-) for sparge?

1.5) Along the lines of water - my home water sucks so these are my 3 options - Distilled, Spring, or Drinking water (all by the gallon). Which would you recommend using as far as keeping Ph balance in check, etc.?

2) You mention HawaiianVanilla.com for the source of your beans. Great site (expensive). Do you ONLY use 2 beans in your conditioning, or have you used 3 (since you can only buy a single, or a 3pk), and if you have used 3 - how were the results as opposed to using 2?

3) Lastly, in your opinion, would it be worth while using the 3rd bean in the keg (seeing as though the vanilla fades over time) to keep some of that vanilla a little more prominent throughout the life of the keg? I know you say that it depends on personal preference, but I was wondering if you (or anyone for that matter) has attempted this daring feat, and what the results were.

Thanks in advance for the response(s). Great recipe, and great board.

Cheers.

Quick Reply