Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #241
brewmasterorr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I was able to get the mash in a keg....just barley though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #242
jtkratzer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterorr
I was able to get the mash in a keg....just barley though.
What was your water to grain ratio? I'm guessing it has to be 1.25 qts/lb or less. 1.25 qts/lb puts me at 10 5/8 gallons plus the grain. And that's where I'm wondering if the 34 lbs will fit in below curved rim of the top of the keg.

What was your preboil volume with the 10 gallon batch?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #243
mitchar19
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a batch of this brewing now. Only problem is my fermentation got out of hand. It worked itself up to a fermentation temp of 70 degrees around the 24 hour mark. Has anyone had any experience with 1450 fermenting this high? I'm afraid of the final beer having a fusel alcohol presence.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #244
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 504

It might be on the fruity side, but shouldn't have too many fusels.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #245
mitchar19
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks Denny! Good to hear from the man himself. I think I can deal with fruity. Next time I will definitely be using my refrigerator to control the beastly fermentation from 1450 and a high gravity wort.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #246
brewmasterorr

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post

What was your water to grain ratio? I'm guessing it has to be 1.25 qts/lb or less. 1.25 qts/lb puts me at 10 5/8 gallons plus the grain. And that's where I'm wondering if the 34 lbs will fit in below curved rim of the top of the keg.

What was your preboil volume with the 10 gallon batch?
I have a keg flipped and run a herms. I was up to the brim, which for me was above where it starts to curve. I account for loss and about a 15% boil off rate so I was at 14.5 gallons pre-boil on this one. I put 38 pounds in the mash tun for this one and ended up with 12 gallons in the fermentor at 21 plato (1.088).

Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #247
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterorr View Post
I have a keg flipped and run a herms. I was up to the brim, which for me was above where it starts to curve. I account for loss and about a 15% boil off rate so I was at 14.5 gallons pre-boil on this one. I put 38 pounds in the mash tun for this one and ended up with 12 gallons in the fermentor at 21 plato (1.088).
38 lbs? What's your efficiency? I just ordered this and doubled the 5 gallon recipe to 34 lbs as listed. My system is an old Sabco system I converted to eHERMS and I have the curved portion up top intact. I should be fine. I had it this full for my last batch and it didn't boil over and filled two kegs plus 18 12oz bottles. This is preboil:

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #248
brewmasterorr

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post

38 lbs? What's your efficiency? I just ordered this and doubled the 5 gallon recipe to 34 lbs as listed. My system is an old Sabco system I converted to eHERMS and I have the curved portion up top intact. I should be fine. I had it this full for my last batch and it didn't boil over and filled two kegs plus 18 12oz bottles. This is preboil:
I usually get about 80% I will check my logs. I put the vanilla beans in last night and it was more like 12.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #249
DallasW
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed a triple batch of this as part of our new brew club on Saturday (none of us had done AG, most of us hadn't even brewed). We used the grain bill found on the brew365 site, and mashed at 153 for 60 min. Hit our OG of 1.080 and everything tastes great and seems to be fermenting well (it's in the four along the back wall)

I just had some questions about the vanilla and oak additions. I'm planning on adding 2 split/scraped beans and some medium toast oak chips (both soaked in bourbon for a few days) at around 3 weeks, but can I add these straight into primary, provided fermentation is completed at that point? I'm running low on fermenters and it would make life a whole lot easier, but isn't completely necessary. Also it seems like 1-2 weeks is the norm for vanilla beans, what about oak chips?

Also, how much less do you need to add with oak chips vs oak cubes, I seem to have bought the wrong product...

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #250
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Yes, you can add to primary after fermentation is done. Don't set a time for the vanilla...it will vary with the quality of your beans. Just start tasting after 3-5 days. The vanilla fades quickly, so let it get a bit more vanilla character than you think it needs.

I'm not a big fan of oaked beers.....I don't understand why everyone wants to oak this. Try it without oak.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply