Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #111
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

OTOH, using a stir plate really aerates the starter, leading ti oxidized starter wort. My own tastebuds tell me to always decant.
So do you have your starter going two days in advance then chill and decant? I always liked the idea of dropping the starter in at high krausen does that not really matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #112
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
I've read to use foil so the yeast can get lots of oxygen. So yeah, the starter was probably pretty oxidized.

I don't know much about microbiology or what produces the oxidized flavors, but are the yeast able to eat and clean up any of those oxidized off flavors with all that vigorous fermentation?
In that case yup you have oxidized beer in your starter and correctly so as yeast needs oxygen at that stage to reproduce. What causes oxidation is oxygen itself as far as cleaning it up I don't believe it will be abl to "clean' up during vigorous fermentation. But one other point to make is that in a full flavored beer a small amount of oxidation tends to hide itself fairly well. Not to misunderstod as me saying it is ideal or something to ignore but it will not be as prominent as per say in a english bitter or a lighter flavored beer. My guess is that you will still be just fine.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #113
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelshopMcgee View Post
So do you have your starter going two days in advance then chill and decant? I always liked the idea of dropping the starter in at high krausen does that not really matter?
More like 5-7 days early. 2-3 days on the stir plate, then 2-3 in the fridge.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #114
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you think the yeast in this yeast cake would be too stressed to pitch on top of? I'm thinking of brewing up Wry Smile Rye IPA to pitch on top when I rack this.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #115
ashplub
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

I have a ? I am planning this as my day after X-mas brew and I was wondering what you guys thought of boiling down the first gallon of runnings for some caramelization.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #116
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
Do you think the yeast in this yeast cake would be too stressed to pitch on top of? I'm thinking of brewing up Wry Smile Rye IPA to pitch on top when I rack this.
If you get the 1.086 OG in the recipe, I wouldn't reuse the yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #117
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashplub View Post
I have a ? I am planning this as my day after X-mas brew and I was wondering what you guys thought of boiling down the first gallon of runnings for some caramelization.
I say no. The recipe is perfect (IMO) the way it is. I brewed a lot of test batches to come up with it and if i thought that something would improve it, I would have done it. At least try it as is first, then decide if you want to do it on the next batch.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #118
ashplub
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Thanks Denny. One more question. My LHBS does not have German Munich. They do have American light and dark (I and II). I understand those are not sutable replacements. Maybe I should use MO instead of plain 2-row and use the American light Munich? What do you suggest? Besides getting German Munich that is.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #119
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I just tasted mine out after a gravity test 2 weeks into fermentation and it tastes fantastic. Really looking forward to drinking this.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #120
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashplub View Post
Thanks Denny. One more question. My LHBS does not have German Munich. They do have American light and dark (I and II). I understand those are not sutable replacements. Maybe I should use MO instead of plain 2-row and use the American light Munich? What do you suggest? Besides getting German Munich that is.
I almost always use Am. Munich for the beer. My standard is Great western 10L Munich. I'd recommend not using MO. I use Rahr or GW pale malt.

www.dennybrew.com

Quick Reply