Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Hey All -

Over the next couple of days, I'll be brewing up this recipe, and I know a lot of people on here have brewed it before. I'll be using the kit from Brewmaster's Warehouse Bernerbrau Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter and I was wondering what kind of bourbon you guys have used, and what you have thought of it.

As far as whiskey goes, I'm a Jack Daniel's man, but I know this will not compliment the flavors of the porter well at all. I'm thinking Maker's Mark or Knob Creek would taste nice, perhaps even Jim Beam.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
Hey All -

Over the next couple of days, I'll be brewing up this recipe, and I know a lot of people on here have brewed it before. I'll be using the kit from Brewmaster's Warehouse Bernerbrau Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter and I was wondering what kind of bourbon you guys have used, and what you have thought of it.

As far as whiskey goes, I'm a Jack Daniel's man, but I know this will not compliment the flavors of the porter well at all. I'm thinking Maker's Mark or Knob Creek would taste nice, perhaps even Jim Beam.

Thoughts?

Makers mark is what I usually use for porters, but I've also used southern comfort in a stout which came out nice.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Makers mark is what I usually use for porters, but I've also used southern comfort in a stout which came out nice.
I didn't even think about SoCo, that might have some real promise...

Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
PWalk
Recipes 

I'll second the Maker's Mark. Did my 1st batch with Jack Daniels and didn't really like it. Makers Mark just finishes better for me.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Makers.. especially with the vanilla since Makers is a more vanilla-y bourbon. I don't know how the peach notes in soco would impact the flavor profile. I did a vanilla bourbon porter with makers and it was fantastic! my favorite brew yet.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 441 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Ya know, it really doesn't matter all that much, other than you don't want rotgut. I use Jim Beam Black because it's decent and has a reasonable price point. I really suggest you not waste expensive bourbon for this. Neither the bourbon nor vanilla flavors should stick out. They should be integrated with the flavor of the beer. If you can pick out what bourbon was used, I'd say you used too much!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Denny, how many vanilla beans do you use?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i used knob creek and its fantastic...used a play off jamils recipe though
- i used one bean at the last seconds of the boil and then one in secondary

Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Ya know, it really doesn't matter all that much, other than you don't want rotgut. I use Jim Beam Black because it's decent and has a reasonable price point. I really suggest you not waste expensive bourbon for this. Neither the bourbon nor vanilla flavors should stick out. They should be integrated with the flavor of the beer. If you can pick out what bourbon was used, I'd say you used too much!
Denny -

Thank you for your input, I'm glad I can get advice direct from the horse's mouth. I'll probably do a price comp between Maker's and Jim Beam Black, and see what is more enticing. I'm siding towards Jim Beam Black, if for no other reason, than because I've never tried it, and would like to.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to post more questions as they come.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of infusing my oak chips in the bourbon for a week+ prior to adding to the secondary. If anybody can vouch for another method, or any suggestions, I'm all ears.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
Denny -

Thank you for your input, I'm glad I can get advice direct from the horse's mouth. I'll probably do a price comp between Maker's and Jim Beam Black, and see what is more enticing. I'm siding towards Jim Beam Black, if for no other reason, than because I've never tried it, and would like to.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to post more questions as they come.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of infusing my oak chips in the bourbon for a week+ prior to adding to the secondary. If anybody can vouch for another method, or any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research on oak aging and this is what I've found.

Soak your oak chips or cubes in enough bourbon to cover them and sit into the fridge for a week +. Pull out oak and add directly into the fermenter reserving the liquor. Oak in the fermenter until you achieve the flavor you like. Most people say that 3+ months is best, but a lot of people don't want to overpower their brew and just do it until they like it. At time of bottling or kegging add you bourbon to taste. Remember what was said above, you just want the liquor to blend into the brew not be individually pronounced. Also, if you want to add vanilla extract, now would be the time to do so. I use extract b/c it's much cheaper (even the good stuff) and it's easier to fine tune to your liking than whole beans are.

J

Quick Reply