Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > def. getting a wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
fretsforlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default def. getting a wort chiller

I have a question.. I am brewing a honey oatmeal stout tonight. I gave my worth the ice bath and all,, cooled it to about 90 and added it to the other 2.5 gallons of cold water. The thing is, its been almost an hour now and it wont drop below 84 degrees.. should I pitch the yeast early and cover it, or should I continue to keep it exposed to the air and wait until its below the 75-80 mark?

thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It's a little difficult to sort out why your temperature is still that high... i would cover the fermenter and let the temperature fall a bit lower before you pitch the yeast.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
fretsforlife
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks, I decided to go that route. it is pretty friggin hot in here tonight so that might be it.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

With a wort chiller you can get the temperature down pretty reasonably depending on the temperature of the water you are feeding it. There isn't much need to cool the wort below the ambient temperature of the room you plan to ferment in though...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought 20ft of 3/8" copper and use it with a cheap aquarium pump which pumps ice water through the chiller. With this I can chill a full 5 gallon boil to room temp in 20 minutes or so. This will only cost you about $50. Last brew I saw my first good cold break, makes you really appreciate why you want to cool quickly.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In my opinion, wort chillers that run water from the faucet that dump to the drain are a waste of water, and dont chill it down any better than other methods. The one above works great and doesnt use much water. I just put my brew pot in the sink with a bag of ice, cold water, and salt. The Salt lets the water get colder than it would by itself. I can cool down from 210 deg to 90 or so in 15 min. My tap water is pretty cold, so when I mix my final 3 gal to the 90 deg wort I have a perfect 65-70 temp.

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You added the "other 2.5 gallons" when it was at 90 degrees and it's still at 80+ degrees? That can't be right. Or did you add the top-off water in order for it to get to 90 degrees?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa2t View Post
In my opinion, wort chillers that run water from the faucet that dump to the drain are a waste of water, and dont chill it down any better than other methods. The one above works great and doesnt use much water. I just put my brew pot in the sink with a bag of ice, cold water, and salt. The Salt lets the water get colder than it would by itself. I can cool down from 210 deg to 90 or so in 15 min. My tap water is pretty cold, so when I mix my final 3 gal to the 90 deg wort I have a perfect 65-70 temp.
This is fine for smaller boils, but you will never get 5 gallons to cool quickly enough using your method. Some type of chiller is necassary.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I get a full 5.5 gal down to 80deg in under an hour with an ice water bath so you can do it that way. It's still a PITA and a chiller is in my not-too-distant future though...

-Craig

Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you putting your top off water in the fridge prior to adding? I put mine in the fridge over-night, then two hours before brew time I put them in the freezer. I took mine from 90 to around 65 just by adding the water.

Quick Reply