Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Decent corded thermometer??? (and a rant to start)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
rustym
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Seriously...this...http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-waterproof-thermometers/p/0013422/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
TrickyMike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the market myself... Brewed an Alt last night that may end up going down the drain due to a wonky thermometer (and my not realizing it soon enough). Ugh. Sparge was too cold, resulting in a whopping 1.023 OG :/ I added some boiled light DME, but I may just cut my losses and dump it when I get home from work.

I may just get the CDN that BobbyM recommended. This is tempting, though, for an extra couple bucks:
(looks like the same unit from the VWR link above, just without the remote probe which I would worry about suffering the same fate as the other leaking probes... AND I get free shipping with Amazon)

LINKY

Anybody got one?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyMike View Post
I'm in the market myself... Brewed an Alt last night that may end up going down the drain due to a wonky thermometer (and my not realizing it soon enough). Ugh. Sparge was too cold, resulting in a whopping 1.023 OG :/ I added some boiled light DME, but I may just cut my losses and dump it when I get home from work.

I may just get the CDN that BobbyM recommended. This is tempting, though, for an extra couple bucks:
(looks like the same unit from the VWR link above, just without the remote probe which I would worry about suffering the same fate as the other leaking probes... AND I get free shipping with Amazon)

LINKY

Anybody got one?
I have one of those (one of the corded versions too). Used it for a while in my assembly on the outlet side of my plate chiller, before going to the Fluke system I use now. Just get the fitting from Bobby_M with the right o-rings and you should be fine. I went to the Fluke system so that I could more easily see the temperature reading. Plus, the lollipop thermometer is a bit vulnerable in the fitting on that. Probably not an issue for a mash tun though. Just be sure you don't have it positioned so that heat is hitting it (if you direct fire the mash tun).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
TrickyMike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, thanks for the reply. Think I'll order one. Is it relatively quick reading?
PS- We're neighbors... I live just over the border in the mean streets of Chelmsford.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:

LINKY

Anybody got one?
Your sparge water temp in and of itself would not cause low OG.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the reply. Think I'll order one. Is it relatively quick reading?
PS- We're neighbors... I live just over the border in the mean streets of Chelmsford.
Pretty fast... If you want to check one out first, let me know.

I left the police state of MA not that long ago. Enjoying the new freedom.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
TrickyMike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Your sparge water temp in and of itself would not cause low OG.
Good point, based on how far off the thermometer readings were my mash was probably way off too... and then I forgot the whirlfloc, chilled too far and dropped my stir bar into the fermenter. Last night was not my night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Pretty fast... If you want to check one out first, let me know.

I left the police state of MA not that long ago. Enjoying the new freedom.
Thanks. For $30 I'll just roll the dice. I feel better doing so knowing that someone else here has one. I hear you on the run North. MA is a weird place... and getting weirder.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Good point, based on how far off the thermometer readings were my mash was probably way off too... and then I forgot the whirlfloc, chilled too far and dropped my stir bar into the fermenter. Last night was not my night...

Thanks. For $30 I'll just roll the dice. I feel better doing so knowing that someone else here has one. I hear you on the run North. MA is a weird place... and getting weirder.
Well, I'm also not using mine, so I could let it go for less, and you would save on shipping.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
TrickyMike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aaaaaah, I already clicked "submit order."
Maybe next time.
Off topic, but I have seen a bunch of your posts while digging around for Sanke info/sources. When I have a little extra $$ I'll be looking to pick your brain there, if that's cool. I'd love to convert over to Sanke at some point. Maybe convert a little at a time. I'll still be doing 5-gal batches and Sanke 1/6ths (at least legal ones) seem kind of like unicorns.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You can usually cancel orders if you catch them in time. Just saying...

Provided I've not moved to Maine by then, I'll be able to help you out. If you want to see what I've done for the keggles, let me know. Plus we can pull a pint, or two, from what's on tap.

I have one 1/6 bbl sanke that's not been touched yet. I find they make really good fermenting vessels. I'll be working on my fermenting cap design soon. About to order up a small lathe that will go a long way towards getting this done. I typically ferment my 6.75-7 gallon batches (so that I get a full 6 gallons out) in tall 1/4 barrel kegs. You can use the short ones too, if you want. I have more than a dozen keg fermenting vessels right now. But I'm almost always looking to score more. Got 5 of the tall 1/4 barrel kegs (two unmodified so far)...

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply