Deadringer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So no real reason to post except to say I am super excited. I haven't brewed for about 6 months.. I recently purchased an 8 gallon pot, burner, and fridge for temp control and this is my first time using all my new stuff so hopefully everything turns out great. Made NB's Deadringer.. Brew day went good except I'm in southern Georgia so the water going through my IC only got it down to 80 so I had to stick it in the fridge for a few hours to get down to pitching temp. It's been fermenting almost 24 hours now and is going strong! #mug#

I just bottled my modified version of NB's Deadringer last weekend. Right there with ya bud. Super excited. Luckily, I've got a couple of previous batches to tide me over until that one's ready to be sampled.

Thanks! I made a minor adjustment to it. I just added 2 oz at 20 minutes and 2 oz at 5... And I'll stick with the same 1 oz dry hop.

I actually did 2 oz at 60 and 2 at 5 and added 1oz of Willamette DH.

When I bottled it, it was OUTSTANDING!!!

One of my favorite recipes hands down! This is basically my house IPA that I have on-tap all the time here. The only modification I make is in Dry hopping. I typically do 1 oz in the secondary then throw another ounce in the keg right before it heads into the fridge -- that keeps the nose nice and strong while it's on tap.

I also have a tendency to look in the freezer and see if I have any open bags of hops and drop them in the whirlpool just for kicks.

But man; it's a rock solid recipe and one I've been brewing non-stop for almost a year.

Very nice, I'm pretty excited by all the positive feedback. Day 3 and still fermenting strong at 60F

One of my favorite extract brews that I ever did! That and NB's St. Paul Porter.

Actually, these are 2 of my favorites that I've ever done, period. I thought the Deadringer was, well, a dead ringer for 2 hearted.

For the 80 degree chiller problem I got over it by stirring a lot while cooling and putting my supply hose in a bucket of ice to drop the temp of the water cooling the coils.

Just took a sample (really couldn't stand to wait), gravity is perfect, should be about 6.5% ABV, color is golden, and the taste is oh so hoppy. I'm excited to see the difference once I add the dry hops.

Update, just bottled after about 9 days dry hopping and 3-4 days of cold crashing and everything went perfect. I even did my first yeast rinse and got two old spaghetti jars filled with a good amount of yeast for my next brew.

Is it possible to do this recipe in about 3 weeks if I keg and force carb it and still have it turn out well?

Hmm I'm not so sure 3 weeks is long enough. You really want to dry hop this sucker for at least one week, so that would leave you 2 weeks for fermentation. It could be possible, its definitely one of the best beers I've ever made so I say give it a shot. Just make sure you have a nice healthy starter to pitch!

Normally I wouldn't try to cut the time, but I need to get an IPA ready for a picnic during the last week of August and this seemed like a good recipe to try.

Is there any reason I need to wait a full two weeks before dry hopping? Can't I just dry hop when I rack it into the secondary?

Is it possible to do this recipe in about 3 weeks if I keg and force carb it and still have it turn out well?

I have brewed a version of this about 6 times in the past year. I think 3 weeks is pushing it with the amount of hops (and they are all centennial in the recipe). But, maybe take it down to high 1.04 or 1.05 and knock the hops down a bit, sub in some cascade maybe. That might give you a chance if you do more of an american pale ale, as opposed to IPA.
I always drink a glass of it when I bottle/keg at 21 days, and it is good, but I don't think it ever tastes "ready." You can tell it WILL be good in another 3-4 weeks.

I suppose I shouldn't risk it. I don't want to embarrass myself by bringing a faux-IPA to a picnic. Unless someone knows of a good IPA I can make in about 3 weeks or so, I think I might need to brew a different style.

If you pitch proper amount of yeast and can control your ferm temps you can def do an ipa in 3 weeks. 2 weeks in primary and dry hop in the keg while it carbonates. Maybe increase the dry hop addition since they extract a little slower at colder temps

Whats the recipe on this one look like? I've been playing with IPA recipes a lot lately and am looking for new inspiration.
Also, where in south Georgia are you?(Just curious if there are any other brewers hiding around my area)

Just bottled a batch of Dead Ringer a week ago. Total time from pitching yeast to bottling was 17 days. It took 9 days to ferment completely at a steady 66 F in the basement (and was probably actually done in less than a week). Then dry hopped for 8 days - just because my original plan for bottling got pushed back a day, because I forgot about some previous plans. Could've been ready to bottle in only 2 weeks from pitching yeast, if I had been in a hurry.

I don't know how long it takes to carb up when you keg it, but 3 weeks should definitely be possible.

Call me indecisive, but I ordered the Dead Ringer and I'm planning on brewing it this weekend. We'll see how it turns out!

Only 6 of the collector's kit bundles left. Has anybody figured out why the poster's were numbered out of 250 when they said there were 500 of them?

OK, I brewed this today, but the OG reading I took is way off from what the recipe sheet says it should be. It says it should be 1.064, but I got 1.14. :confused:

Are you sure the hydrometer is accurate? Try it in plain water to be sure.
What kit did you get, the all grain or extract? Did you do anything different or followed the directions?

I just kegged this tonite, OG was 1.064, FG 1.016, almost perfect. Tasted good in the test jar.

partial or full boil? did you add water to the fermenter to get 5 gallons?

Sh**. I think I just realized where I screwed up. The sample I took was directly from the pot before I added water to bring it to 5 gallons. :(

Craichead said:
Sh**. I think I just realized where I screwed up. The sample I took was directly from the pot before I added water to bring it to 5 gallons. :(

That'll do it ;)

Would it be a good idea to take an OG reading now? It's been in the fermenter for a few hours now.

Well, after doing a little research, I decided to go ahead and test it. I did the necessary sanitation, then took another sample and it was spot on. What a relief! :)

Latest posts

Back