The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dark Lord Day 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #21
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Thanks for the info. I was there last summer so I know how it's set up, but I thought I saw someone say parking was $20 when you get close.
I hope not. I'm not sure who would charge. The last time I was at DLD was 2007 so my info is 6 years old. It's not like a scheduled event time such as a concert or fireworks. A lot of people who get there early are leaving as soon as they get their beer, others stick around a bit to enjoy the fest, but have to leave after an hour or two.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was there last summer so I know how it's set up, but I thought I saw someone say parking was $20 when you get close.
Yes, there are people in the industrial park charging for parking. I believe the city park across the road does as well.

I dont blame them, they are just businesses that happen to be next to this mess 1 day a year.

The long and short of it is expect a very expensive day all the way around.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Understood.

Just so I know how expensive it will be, I think I saw someone say it was $15/bottle and you can buy 4. I know the site said they don't know what their yield is right now, but is that what it's been?

So it's ~$70 for 2 people and it would be $120 for 8 bottles, so that is ~$190 for 8 bottles, which is about $24/bottle.

And the rarer beers are $50 each if you "win" the opportunity to buy one?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That was the deal last year.

But its just the tip of the iceberg. They have tents selling other special beers, some their own and others from all the awesome breweries they trade kegs with. They have food tents with totally decent food. There is tons of merch, and plenty of other large format beers you'll want to buy and a case of zombie dust here, a case of gumball head there....ect. You get the picture.

Then if you happen to get lucky enough to get into the brew pub you could drop 50-100 bucks a person on beer or food pretty easily.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Sounds like 3F marketing & promotional team deserves a raise

Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
That was the deal last year.

But its just the tip of the iceberg. They have tents selling other special beers, some their own and others from all the awesome breweries they trade kegs with. They have food tents with totally decent food. There is tons of merch, and plenty of other large format beers you'll want to buy and a case of zombie dust here, a case of gumball head there....ect. You get the picture.

Then if you happen to get lucky enough to get into the brew pub you could drop 50-100 bucks a person on beer or food pretty easily.
Thanks for the info. We just started getting 3F in Cincinnati, so I don't need to buy their normal stuff, but I might buy their more rare stuff.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
head7l
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up getting 2 B-Group tix. Was on a conference call with some friends and we all went in at the exact same time. I came away with 2 B's one person got 2 D's and 2 others got nothing.

I would never have even considered getting on this crazy bandwagon in the past, but last summer I tasted the 2011 batch...and it was just delicious.

So a weekend with some buddies, some good beer, and some serious BS-ing? Could be worse for $200ish.

--Sean

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #28
ArtimusBeerimus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We usually bring beer to drink and share. Frankly, I usually end up drinking more beers from people I meet than my own. Bring some food to cut your costs as well, if necessary.

Lots of home brewers and plenty of folks that don't brew but enjoy/know beer will be there. The conversation is always great! And the place is chock full of people bringing brews to trade and sample. And that doesn't even get into the official guest taps and rares that get unveiled, albeit at a cost.

At this point I think it's easy to get down on all the money that gets charged by 3F, but outside of the tix and the beer, you really control your own expenditures. I've had no success with that myself, I'll admit. Some things are just easier to justify/rationalize than others...!

Drink beer and be merry!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #29
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
If you look anything like your picture, maybe I don't want to meet you
Hey I resemble that remark.... well i don't look like my avatar, I just really like the movie and what people need to see in it... that it can happen here.

ANYWAY I think it would be fun to pick an area, even outside 3F lot itself, that we would all meet up at a certain time to hang out. I'm not sure yet if it will just be me or me and a friend, so I'll not know a lot of people.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
CKing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Went to DLD in 2010 & 2011: It's chaotic bliss, and I recommend any beer lover to go at least once for the experience.
Thousands of people, get there as early in the morning as possible and any parking within a mile is a good spot.
Bring lots of beer to share, water, food, and something to sit on, most people are cool and I was able to share and trade lots of great beers.
The real fun is outside the fence where people set up camp and hang out.
Inside the fence will be tents with guest taps, a huge line for the brewpub (I suggest not bothering w/ the pub that day), and the line for the bottles.
Years past have been $15 per bomber w/ a 4 bottle limit for an overly sweet, overly hyped imperial stout.......for me the bottles of Dark Lord were not priority, enjoying the festivities trumps all.

Quick Reply