The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dark Lord Day 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've never been to 3F. i have tried zombie, gumball, alpha king, pride n joy and dreadnaught. Personally the only one of thos i really like was dreadnaught. the others were not bad but i didnt think they were as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Oaked zythos pale ale, Cascadian dark ale, Sumpin sumpin clone, Summit hopped pale ale, Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
I've never been to 3F. i have tried zombie, gumball, alpha king, pride n joy and dreadnaught. Personally the only one of thos i really like was dreadnaught. the others were not bad but i didnt think they were as great as everyone makes them out to be.
They definitely have a "style" of their own...namely high FG and a lot of melanoidin malt. Its not everyone's cup of tea.

Last year was my first DLD, I still havent drank any of the DL other that the glasses I consumed in the brewpub. It's really going to require a special occasion to drink the barrel aged variants we scored.

The event is a **** show and an expense that no beer can live up to, but it's a lot of fun and I may do it again in the future. SWMBO had a blast.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got tickets. Initially it kept saying quantity not available for every group. I just kept trying to add each group to my cart. After about 20 minutes I got group D. I kept trying because there is a 15 minute "clock" for your order and if it isn't completed in that time the tickets go back in as available.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
ArtimusBeerimus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Demon,

Tried the same to no avail. First miss in four years. It was a walk up event my first year in 2007. Crazy madness these days, although I love going and have always had a blast. Really just depends on if that's your scene or not.

Still holding out hope...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It would be fun to meet up! I'll be there with a buddy of mine (hope he can make it) that is a homebrewer too. Other than that I won't know anyone. I've got thoughts of showing up early to hit the brewpub. But have group E tickets so I know I'll be there late. Wonder if I can sleep in my car.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #16
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you see a few guys with a SlapShot Brewing Co. logo on their shirts, that's my group. Say hi, we're bringing several of our beers for sampling.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
It would be fun to meet up! I'll be there with a buddy of mine (hope he can make it) that is a homebrewer too. Other than that I won't know anyone. I've got thoughts of showing up early to hit the brewpub. But have group E tickets so I know I'll be there late. Wonder if I can sleep in my car.
If you look anything like your picture, maybe I don't want to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
If you see a few guys with a SlapShot Brewing Co. logo on their shirts, that's my group. Say hi, we're bringing several of our beers for sampling.
Cool. Will do.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
No idea how feasible this is, but should we try to meet up? I know you guys will have some good homebrew

So the more I think about it, the more I think I won't be there till around noon or 1. Will it be impossible to find parking? Should I try to get there earlier? Even with the 1 hour time change, it's still a 4+ hour drive and then we have to check in to the hotel. So I doubt I can get the misses to be ready to leave before 8 or 9 at the earliest.

Also, is there any realistic option for a cab? I'd hate to get one there, but then not be able to get one back, and my hotel is a 6-7 mile drive. I think I'd rather drive my car there and then leave it overnight if I can get a cab and get a cab from the hotel in the morning.
The brewery is an industrial park. People will be coming and more important leaving all the time. Drive past all the cars parked a 1/2 mile away if there is not much traffic headed in. The closer you get to the brewery the less traffic. You can probably find a spot in the parking lot across from the brewery.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Thanks for the info. I was there last summer so I know how it's set up, but I thought I saw someone say parking was $20 when you get close.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #20
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I won't be going but if any of you are interested in trading for some CBC hunahpu, I have some of this or last years I'd swap for a bottle of DL.

If DLD is anything like hunahpu day was the past two years I'm sure it rocks. It is not just about the beer but the whole days events.

Cheers guys.

Quick Reply