Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dark Lord Day 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
ArtimusBeerimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

RE: when to show up

Some of this is just my opinion, and if things turn out differently don't blame me, but this is all how it's been going lately. I think when you "need" to show up is totally up to you. Although I don't recall seeing it in writing any place this year, a "golden ticket" usually guarantees you an allotment of Dark Lord. I'm sure that's the case this year as well. (They just don't necessarily tell you what the allotment is going to be too far in advance. It's been four bottles in recent years, and I recall it was six back in 2007. Expect four this year, I'd think.)

Anyway, the point is, if you have the ticket, you'll get the beer. I'm sure you're already aware, but they have three "group" times - A from 10am to noon, B from 1 to 3pm, and C from 5 to 7pm. If you're in A, you can get in line as early as you want, but they won't let the line start moving until close to or at 10 am. So you can wait in line early and not move, or you can get in the line later and move, but be in a longer line. Also, if you have an A ticket, there's nothing that precludes you from getting into the B or C groups... I believe they just try to keep the later groups from buying earlier as a method of crowd/line control.

For my own part, I have C tickets, and I'll be there early, but won't hit the line until it looks like it's moving and hopefully getting shorter. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a fair portion of the line you'll be in regardless of the group will not be on the 3F property. It's always been an outstanding time, but my biggest fear is always that something stupid will happen and the city will shut down future events. People bring homebrew to share... there's tons of sampling going on, and people from far flung areas should definitely bring some local beer to share and trade. That's a big part of what makes this an amazing event, and I sampled the BEST homebrew I've ever had at last year's event.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #22
ArtimusBeerimus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

dshay,
The cooler restriction thing is for their property. There's pretty limited space, and in the past people have camped out and unintentionally created some pretty major roadblocks with coolers and chairs and whatnot on the grounds. Pretty sure that's why they've banned that stuff. FWIW, we had backpacks for the XV anniv party and it worked out well.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #23
clopez0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did manage to get some of the barrel aged beer today. Showed up late but it least it was worth it. Managed to get the Alpha Klaus cherry and plum barrel aged bottles. I already have a pair of tickets so I wasn't too disappointed.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
zacjack
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ticket prices are just silly on eBay. If I had one I would probably sell it to be honest.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just throwing it out there - I managed to score tickets and a room at the Hampton Inn.

I'll be bringing some special beers from the cellar, and I'll gladly share a pour with anyone! I'm trying to rack up my beer karma points on DLD, haha

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
dshay
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtimusBeerimus View Post
dshay,
The cooler restriction thing is for their property. There's pretty limited space, and in the past people have camped out and unintentionally created some pretty major roadblocks with coolers and chairs and whatnot on the grounds. Pretty sure that's why they've banned that stuff. FWIW, we had backpacks for the XV anniv party and it worked out well.

Thanks, that is most likely what I figured. That the whole cooler and chair thing was to provide more space for everyone. I will most likely be bringing a book bag to store the few beers I bring and some food.

Thanks for the info,

Cheers

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
duffbeer71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjack View Post
Ticket prices are just silly on eBay. If I had one I would probably sell it to be honest.
Too bad people can't just let people buy them at normal prices so all could go.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer71 View Post
Too bad people can't just let people buy them at normal prices so all could go.
Hate to say it, but even without the ebay people not everyone could go. This is a highly popular event, there's no way everyone could go.

But I agree that it's lame that people are selling these on ebay for outrageous prices. Though, people seem to be paying for'em...

Catapult Creative - Well Aimed Ideas

Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #29
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not sure if everyone else is interested in meeting up at the event but I would be. Since I know we don't want to publicly post phone numbers, I was thinking of either:

Time and place to meet near/at the brewery. Like across the street from it, certain parking lot, pond etc.

Google doc for phone numbers that is shared only with those requesting so here in the thread.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I have 4 tickets and I'm pretty excited. This will be my first time.

Quick Reply