The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dark Lord Day 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Kaner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dark Lord Day 2010

It was just announced that Dark Lord Day will be held on Saturday, April 24th.

http://www.darklordday.com/

I guess that it's no suprise because it's usually held on the last saturday in April. I'm pretty new to the Northwest Indiana area so I had never been to 3 Floyd's until mid last year, and now I'm there on a weekly basis because I love their beer and their burgers. I'm planning on trying to get these infamous golden tickets and dealing with the crowds on DLD, and was wondering if anyone knew how long the wait in line was last year if you had the golden ticket. From talking to the bartenders/waiters there, apparently there are going to be some changes this year, but they weren't sure exactly what. I know some people on this site think that Dark Lord is over-rated, but I love almost everything that 3 floyd's brews so I'm definately going to give Dark Lord a shot. Anyone have any other tips for a newbie going to Dark Lord Day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner View Post
It was just announced that Dark Lord Day will be held on Saturday, April 24th.

http://www.darklordday.com/

I guess that it's no suprise because it's usually held on the last saturday in April. I'm pretty new to the Northwest Indiana area so I had never been to 3 Floyd's until mid last year, and now I'm there on a weekly basis because I love their beer and their burgers. I'm planning on trying to get these infamous golden tickets and dealing with the crowds on DLD, and was wondering if anyone knew how long the wait in line was last year if you had the golden ticket. From talking to the bartenders/waiters there, apparently there are going to be some changes this year, but they weren't sure exactly what. I know some people on this site think that Dark Lord is over-rated, but I love almost everything that 3 floyd's brews so I'm definately going to give Dark Lord a shot. Anyone have any other tips for a newbie going to Dark Lord Day?
If I recall, the golden tickets were ten dollars each, went on sale well before the event, and sold out in 4 hours. They went on sale in March. I'm not sure on lines, as I live far, far away, but with the golden tickets, you were given a time to show up, so I doubt it was that horrible.

If you don't get a golden ticket, or if they don't so that this year... I'd go 8 hours early. Dark Lord Day is an insanely hyped event, and I know when we have Alesmith special releases, you have to really plan ahead to get anything, and there's a lot less hype. People still fly in from other places, but it isn't as big.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went last year, I stood in line for the brewpub to get food and beer. I had Dreadnaught which was great, one of the other people I met in line had Dark Lord aged in a bourbon barrel with vanilla, basically the best beer I've ever tasted, I thin it was '08 vintage. Anyway after the brewpub I went and stood in line for 5 minutes, got my 8 bottles of Dark Lord and took them to my car. I should have gotten back in line for when they started selling Dark Lord bottles to those without tickets, but I had to get home.

The line at the beginning of the day was HUGE! Went around the block and further, but since I had the tickets (you were allowed 2) I didn't feel the need to stand in the line. This year I really want to hang out with some brewers I've met on HBT.com so we should make sure to set up a time and place to meet.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Me and swmbo are planning on attending this year. Really trying to stay on the ball to get tickets if they do them again.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I live in Central IL, and so the drive isn't insane.....the problem is, although I love beer, I just can't imagine a beer I'd love that much to make the trip. And I love 3 Floyds' beer, Alpha King still being one of my standards for a style, much like Samuel Smith's for Oatmeal Stout.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am hoping to make it there for the first time this year.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Would be great to hang out with you all! I'm dragging my wife along as well, I had to agree to go to some music thing in the summer though

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll be there with a couple of friends and coworkers. We're thinking of going out the night before and going camping, then showing up early and checking everything out. I would definitely be interested in setting up a time and place to hook up with fellow HBTers.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Kaner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Would be great to hang out with you all! I'm dragging my wife along as well, I had to agree to go to some music thing in the summer though
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
I'll be there with a couple of friends and coworkers. We're thinking of going out the night before and going camping, then showing up early and checking everything out. I would definitely be interested in setting up a time and place to hook up with fellow HBTers.
I'd be up for meeting up with HBTers as well. We should start a thread when it gets cloer to DLD and pick somewhere where we can all meet up. I can't wait to try Dark Lord and all of the other beers that they're going to have there too. Definately going to be taking a cab home unless the GF wants to drive!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I live in Central IL, and so the drive isn't insane.....the problem is, although I love beer, I just can't imagine a beer I'd love that much to make the trip. And I love 3 Floyds' beer, Alpha King still being one of my standards for a style, much like Samuel Smith's for Oatmeal Stout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner View Post
I'd be up for meeting up with HBTers as well. We should start a thread when it gets cloer to DLD and pick somewhere where we can all meet up. I can't wait to try Dark Lord and all of the other beers that they're going to have there too. Definately going to be taking a cab home unless the GF wants to drive!
Definitely up for a meetup. This is the bigger reason I'm going. Sure the beer is going to be good, But I'm going for the general Beer Day and hanging out with other beer nerds. Especially ones I "know".

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply