Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dangers of glass carboys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #31
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sooo...it's safe to say you didn't finish the batch when it broke?

I've only broken 2, one of which resulted in stitches on my arm but no nerve damage like yours. I still have 4 glass carboys but replaced the broken ones with BB's. Both times I broke them I was cleaning them out after brewing (and drinking while brewing). Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #32
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts

Sooo...it's safe to say you didn't finish the batch when it broke?

I've only broken 2, one of which resulted in stitches on my arm but no nerve damage like yours. I still have 4 glass carboys but replaced the broken ones with BB's. Both times I broke them I was cleaning them out after brewing (and drinking while brewing). Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
CraigKing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sounds like you can honestly tell people your beer was brewed with BLOOD, sweat and tears now!

+1 for a speedy recovery.

+100 for plastic buckets and plastic carboys. I used Culligan water jugs.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #34
Rotgut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Holy.. yikes!

I broke a nice Italian carboy that I'd had for over 20 years. I lucked out.. I was picking it up and clipped the edge of my tile counter. The glass spider-webbed but held together. I took it out to the garbage bin, and as I lowered it into the bin, the entire carboy just crumbled into a shards.

I still have a few glass carboys but I've been using buckets instead lately - not so much for safety concerns but more for the ease of cleaning them.

Speedy recovery to you!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #35
TheCanisDirus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ummm... ok seriously want to get rid of my 5 Pyrex carboys now... Real deal Pyrex is a lot stronger than normal carboy glass... right? I know it is thermally... but is it against shock?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
Daphne-weizen
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Wow. Speedy recovery dude. Has this changed your views on brewing? I think I'd be a little too traumatized to brew for awhile. However I have to admit that you are my inspiration for ordering a new 6.5 gal plastic bucket fermenter, which should be delivered sometime today. I plan on brewing a kolsch on thursday.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #37
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

OP,
You Know, after seeing your pix etc, and realizing the pain and how your life has and will be changed for a while, I'm looking at my line up of glass carboys through a different lens. I am on blood thinners so a wound like that would put me in the ground. Thanks for the wake-up call. I have Better Bottles but really don't like them. I'm one of those folks that have a real aversion to plastic. I am in the process of wrapping my glass carboys in epoxy and fiberglass tape. The first one is an ugly thing, but the inside is still glass. We'll see what it's like to ferment in soon.
Again, thanks for the post and the heads up to the community. And, again, wish you a quick and full recovery.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #38
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Update. Pinky opens and closes for grip but I can't spread or close my ring and pinky. Left hand has 120lbs of grip 33 on my right. My wrist is super tight when flexing and extending. Back at work on light duty. The doc said my nerve is growing back at a good rate. I get tons of compliments on the scar lol.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #39
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

And to answer the question about brewing. Ive brewed 5 batches so far. I still haven't made the batch of skeeter pee I was making at the time.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #40
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
OP,
You Know, after seeing your pix etc, and realizing the pain and how your life has and will be changed for a while, I'm looking at my line up of glass carboys through a different lens. I am on blood thinners so a wound like that would put me in the ground. Thanks for the wake-up call. I have Better Bottles but really don't like them. I'm one of those folks that have a real aversion to plastic. I am in the process of wrapping my glass carboys in epoxy and fiberglass tape. The first one is an ugly thing, but the inside is still glass. We'll see what it's like to ferment in soon.
Again, thanks for the post and the heads up to the community. And, again, wish you a quick and full recovery.
And I wonder why modern science can't come up with a process where they coat a GLASS carboy in a clear plastic covering just to keep these accidents from hurting people.

Seems like SOMEONE ought to be able to come up with a solution to this problem...

I use plastic for most beer ferments, because I don't think the proper plastic vessel is going to leak enough O2 to cause a problem in the short time most beers ferment.

But, I do use my old glass carboys for some things like wine and mead and I'm always careful to use a brewhauler or plastic milk crate and to make sure my hands are free and clear in case it breaks.

OP That is a nasty gash! But at least it's a cool scar. Look on the bright side; now you can use that nickname you've always wanted: Frank!

Quick Reply