Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Danger of Hops to Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #81
reim0027
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

IMO - enough people were starting topics about hops poisoning to warrant a factual discussion about it. Deathweed's sticky did just that. It was pointed out hops poisoning is extremely rare and that hops, by themselves are not poisonous. IMO, if board-certified veterinary toxicologists think hops can cause MH, that is good enough for me. Veterinary medicine is not like human medicine. We rarely have huge study groups to research, and we do the best we can with our limited resources. Grapes and raisins are suspected in causing kidney failure, but we don't know why, nor do we have concrete proof. Just enough cases to believe they are the problem.

Deathweed was also talking about LD50 numbers for chocolate. Every dog is different. LD50 is kind of a guideline. It means that 50 percent of the dogs that ingest this poison at this dose will die. But each dog's personal tolerance is different. What if a dog had an underlying and undiagnosed heart condition? Chocolate would be much more dangerous.

Bottom line - you could do much worse than to listen to Deathweed on this issue. You could go to the internet and find gossip only. Or you could read Deathweed's thoughtful post and give it the credit it is due. Or, I guess you could ignore the post entirely and go about your life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #82
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My dog has eaten chocolate in small quantities and been fine as well as a whole onion (a little smaller than a baseball) when she was only 6 months old and was fine. She actually did eat a small amount of spent hops that was stuck to the rim of the trash can after I dumped it. I thought about it for a second and dismissed it. She was, of course, fine, but I would rather have known about this at the time so I could at least watch for strange behavior. People might have a tendency to freak out about things, but that's no reason to keep information from them. As long as I know there might be a 1 in a billion chance that hops could harm my dog then I can be mindful of it. I get that a "hops will kill your dog" thread is a bit alarmist, but if a user has information about a possible risk (however minute) then they should definitely share it. For one, I am happy that I am now aware of this possible theoretical connection between hops and a slight possibility of harming my dog if she has a genetic disposition to some thing I've never heard of, because now she'll never eat hops again.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #83
Nunley
Recipes 

I posted my initial warning because I sincerley wish someone else who had lost a dog to hop's poisoning had taken the time to do the same. Trust me, I'd rather have my dog back than to read some of the bitter banter that my posting has caused!! It's rare- but it happens. I also don't know what vets have to do to "officially" attribute a dog's death to hops ingestion. Our dogs ate everthing- even stuff that we went out of our way to keep out of their reach! they are dogs- they don't need a reson to eat things- cat poop with aromatic crystals and their own poop being cases in point. I didn't try to have beer/hops banned (big gasp!) I simply wish that when I entered a search for hops/dogs/poison/toxin... etc something real would have popped up. All I could find was beer brands that had the name dog in them. I would like to have known that there might be a danger so I could have taken my dog to the vet and pumped his stomach rather than wait with a false sense of security and then rush him to an emergency clinic and paid top dollar to lose him anyway. Coincidentally, the emergency vet had just returned from a vet conference in Hawaii (lol- there are never conference in my work there!) and been trained in the most up-to-date protocol on how to reverse the reaction. There wasn't enough time. The human drug that helps counter hyperthermia is generally only at Hospital pharmacies- not on hand at a vet's office. Again- I am real- not an urban legend. I didn't mean to cause contraversy- simply trying to spare someone else from going through the same pain.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #84
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nunley, Sorry for your loss. A couple months ago i was brewing and dropped a single pellet on the ground. I thought nothing of it. two hours later i was getting ready for bed, and i noticed that my gfs schnauzer was laying down, panting like he had just run around the park for an hour. It didnt subside, and next thing i know, you know who is on the computer looking up dog poisons.... when low and behold, she stumbles across hops. Little Marley didn't die, but something physiological definitely happened... why else would he have been panting so hard.... just too much of a coincidence.

The vet said the thing to do was make the dog vomit by giving it hydrogen peroxide and running it around vigorously. Im not 100% sure, but i think the dosage is 1 tablespoon for every ten pounds. Tastes like ****, so i recommend having a syringe (no needle) to shoot it down his thoat.

Bottom line, don't give dogs hops. its bad... the death of a friend would be sad

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #85
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive noticed alot of post where a person says they have pets who are fine after eating hops or even drinking beer. I wont lie, ive poured my old dog a beer of two (god rest his soul, best friend I ever had) and he licked it up and had a good night. However, I think the idea here is long term. I suppose, like ciggies, one wont hurt ya, but pro-longed used will trigger problems.

BTW, I noticed a fellow poster saying he feed chocolate to his dog and he was fine, and this is what drew me to post. My best friend died, cause he ate an easter bunny, solid chocolate and had a mild heart attack. He was eventually put down =(, he no longer could control many functions. I keep him for a year and took after him like he did me, but after awhile it is rather expensive for a poor shmuck like me. Its the worst thing I ever had to do im my life..... and right now Im really missing him just taliing about it.

Please, do anything you can to protect you pets. They love us unconditionally and rely on us like children.

GDit, i miss my dog Buddy now! I hope he is there in heaven, and I see him in the afterlife.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #86
Monty420th
Recipes 

-bump

wanted to bump this because this just happened to a friend of mine. The dog ended up getting on the counter and stealing a few pellets from the bag while he was not looking. The next morning the dog has a fever of 107 I think and was hospitalized for 1.5 days on cold IVs to get the temperature back down.

I didn't mean to bump this because of the above arguments relating to genetics and whatnot, only to get it back up to a recent post so some new brewers can take heed.

Be safe and keep the hops out of the reach of dogs when you are brewing, and when you are done straining everything, dump it in the trash and take it outside immediately (not sure about spent hops but I am sure they are not good either) and try and keep the whole hop leaf from falling on the ground as well

One of my dogs did eat some hops a few weeks back, we woke up the next morning and she was panting pretty good, luckily by lunch time she was back to normal...scary though

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #87
slowjeep
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I also have had a scary situation regarding a dog and spent hops. Red, my 90lb doberman, got into the leftover junk(trub?) after I brewed a batch of beer. He spent a few hours panting heavily, like he had been out running around. He also seemed very anxious and restless.

Did my dog die, no. Was the trub good for him, NO. Did it scare the crap out of me, yes. If I would have had access to this article beforehand, you better believe that I would have been a lot more cautious. Thank you for posting it.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #88
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do have a question.

My dog (leeloo) licked up some of the beer when I was bottling but as far as I know there was no actual hops in the beer itself ... Can this effect my dog?

BTW she vomitted maybe an hour or two later. She vommits when she eats a bone too fast.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #89
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
I do have a question.

My dog (leeloo) licked up some of the beer when I was bottling but as far as I know there was no actual hops in the beer itself ... Can this effect my dog?

BTW she vomitted maybe an hour or two later. She vommits when she eats a bone too fast.
My dog loves bottling day because he gets to lick up my spilled mess. He's been doing so for several batches now and has had no ill effects. I've even fed him hydro samples as well as the not-quite-enough-to-fill-one-bottle leftovers from the bottling bucket.

TLDR: Your dog will be fine, though you might have a problem keeping her away on bottling day now

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #90
Monty420th
Recipes 

puppy should be fine...main thing to look for is if she starts panting for no reason...then start to worry

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal