Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Danger of Hops to Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #31
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5 View Post
I'm starting to think this is a fake story after reading the urban legend post about the guy in Milwaukee ...

I cannot see any way a dog would eat a packet of hops. I've tasted a hop pellet, and it is not pleasant. I could see the leftover wort, but not an unsweetened pack of pellets.
Here is another report. Dogs eat all sorts of crazy stuff. One of my dogs eats dirt and rocks, they also seem to have a taste for cat $hit. So, eating a pack of hops would not surprise me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #32
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
they also seem to have a taste for cat $hit. So, eating a pack of hops would not surprise me.
ok.
SWMBO's Doberman and my Cats have been together for nearly Two years.
The dog never even paid attention to the litterbox, until last week.

now, she goes right after the Cat sh*t if they have had the Fancy Feast canned stuff for supper.

freaky dog. Doesn't like hops though. Which is good I suppose.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 511 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
ok.

now, she goes right after the Cat sh*t if they have had the Fancy Feast canned stuff for supper.

Hey, thataintchicken, did you tell her thataintchicken?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #34
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Hey, thataintchicken, did you tell her thataintchicken?
actually I told her that she had a choice.
Cat Sh*t or Kibble.

She wandered over to the corner and went to sleep.
The Cats just went into the kitchen and begged for some corned beef from my sandwich.

I live with animals.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
ok.

We call the cat s#it after it's rolled in litter "almond roca." Luckily our new dog hasn't discovered this treat yet.

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #36
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Deathweed, I really like how well that explains the situation, I think that would make a good Sticky.

I grow hops and I am not concerned that my (future..) dogs will eat the plants. I will not be throwing sweet wort soaked hops on the compost pile though as I can see how that would be enticing.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #37
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I found this interesting on the other site

Quote:
By brrman
My wife is an emergency vet and she sees malignant hypothermia more than a few times a year from various foods. It all depends on the size of the dog and the amount of hops ingested. Don't wait if you know your dog has ingested hops - MH can cause brain damage and renal failure in small dogs before symptoms get extremely pronounced.

Also poisonous to dogs are grapes and raisins, onions (Hemolytic Anemia), chocolate, coffee and certain types of mushrooms. Though they are all different in their levels and types of toxicity. Raisins are very bad - my wife lost a patient (terrier) who ate 4 small school lunch-sized boxes of raisins. The owner waited 2 days after the dog started panting before she brought the dog to the hospital. The dog died about an hour after arriving...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #38
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Deathweed, I really like how well that explains the situation, I think that would make a good Sticky.

I grow hops and I am not concerned that my (future..) dogs will eat the plants. I will not be throwing sweet wort soaked hops on the compost pile though as I can see how that would be enticing.

Thanks I tried to keep it as "understandable" as possible.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #39
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Well, there goes my plans to plant hops. There is no way I'm taking a chance on this.
The chance of you growing hops plants being injurous to your dogs is extremely small. First hop cones form quite high up on the plant making it difficult for a dog to even reach the flowers. Second there is no reason for them to be interested in the flowers. The plants will have been growing for several months at that point and the cones are a small green part of the plant that is bitter when bitten. Third it takes many hop cones to equal one ounce of dried hops. A packet of dries hops is very easy for a dog to snarf up. Hop cones on the plant will require a much more determined effort to chew off each cone separately.

I grow hops on my parents farm. There are 3 dogs that live with them and several more that visit regularly. None has ever shown the slightest interest in the plants even while tending them or during harvest.

Craig

Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #40
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post

There is no evidence whatsoever that spent hops in your spent grain is dangerous.

There should be much higher amounts of hop oils in your beer than your compost and there is no recorded case of hops poisoning from a dog drinking beer.

So Nunley, if his story is believed (consider the source - a first time poster), would be the sixth recorded case of hops causing MH in recorded vet history. Not worthy of a "Your Dog Will Die" thread. Certainly not worthy of a Sticky thread.

I don't know if people realize just how unusual "extremely rare" means when used in a medical journal but to put it into perspective, the FDA approves drugs for the general population that have a higher incidence of deadly side effects than hops does for dogs.

If there was some therapeutic reason to feed hops to dogs you would be able to market hops in a pet store directly for dogs and there would not even have to be a warning label on the package.

And really, who is leaving their beer ingredients where their dog can eat them? Personally, I leave no food item that I want to consume within range of my dog to make the decision for himself if he wants to try it. I have too much respect for my food ingredients and too little respect for my dog's judgement. Pretty much the only food my dog can reach is DOG food.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply