Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Danger of Hops to Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunley View Post
Both raw and spent hops are lethal, especially to muscular dog varieties. Composting spent hops around dogs will expose them to risk.
So I guess this is the one positive to my dog being flabby?

But this is actually why I stopped dumping the trub after brewing on my current compost bin. It is open and in an area where he has access. I could imagine him trying to lick up the bitter-sweet wort that spills out, especially since he likes the spent grain. I figure the chances of him actually doing so, and actually dying because of it are fairly slim, but why chance it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #12
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, there goes my plans to plant hops. There is no way I'm taking a chance on this.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
BCNbeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Well, there goes my plans to plant hops. There is no way I'm taking a chance on this.
Same here, my dogs would chew up hop plants whenever they break out of my back yard.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
Why a dog would want to eat a bitter hop is beyond me...
I don't understand why they'd want hops, either. But on the other hand, on a weirdness scale from 1-10, hops are about a 3 compared to the rest of the stuff my dog will shove in his face.

Sorry for your loss Nunley!

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
I don't understand why they'd want hops, either. But on the other hand, on a weirdness scale from 1-10, hops are about a 3 compared to the rest of the stuff my dog will shove in his face.

Sorry for your loss Nunley!
Exactly. If they'll eat poop, there's no telling what else they'll eat.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am really sorry to hear about your dog!

And I second "dogs will eat anything"! My dog eats his own poop, and anything else he can find. I had a dog growing up that knocked over a glass with juice in it, it shattered so it proceeded to crunch up the glass shards and swallow them. The very same dog ate one of my moms razors, it was chomping down on it with blood dripping from its mouth.

It died at 14 from brain tumors, go figure.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Larstram
Recipes 

Thank you very much for sharing. I have been reading on this site here for a while now and was not aware of this. This warning be more prominent here. Maybe a sticky would be good.
I also have a Golden Retriever and could have easily put her at risk of this. In my last batch I through the grains in the yard.The hops I don't recall, but could have gone in the yard just as easy not knowing the danger.
Very sorry for your loss and again thank you!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
Whisler85
Recipes 

its funny, but there was a thread not that long ago and the consensus seemed to be that hops werent that big of a deal

im glad my dog stays away from the hops- he does eat the spent grain on the compost pile, but i use pellets and wash them and the other trub down the drain

its funny, my dog loves to eat pens- none are safe around him-other than that, he never eats poop, random plants outside, or anything else weird

Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Dogs can then drink BMC ...no hops in there.

PS. Sorry for the loss.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisler85 View Post
its funny, but there was a thread not that long ago and the consensus seemed to be that hops werent that big of a deal

im glad my dog stays away from the hops- he does eat the spent grain on the compost pile, but i use pellets and wash them and the other trub down the drain

its funny, my dog loves to eat pens- none are safe around him-other than that, he never eats poop, random plants outside, or anything else weird
Malignant hyperthermia is a genetic problem (which hops can trigger). If a dog doesn't have the genes for it, then the hops shouldn't trigger it (as I understand things). It is along the same lines as peanut allergies. Most people can eat them fine. But, those who are severely allergic to them can die.

On top of this, MH causes severe muscle tremors, which increases body temperature (like when we shiver). Heavily muscled dogs (such as greyhounds) are at more risk for severe damage. More muscle - more heat generated my the tremors.

Ironically, the ASPCA Pet Poison Control website lists them as nontoxic. However, the clinical signs in dogs are "panting, high body temperature, seizures, death". Here's the url Hops

Even stranger, the APSCA classifies hops as poisonous plants here: http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer...dInterest=1101

Bottom line - don't feed your dog hops. It isn't worth the risk.

Quick Reply