Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Danger of Hops to Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #101
ThreeBrothersBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar
My wife is a vet tech, I work in rescue and am a dog trainer...

dogs eat some strange sh*t...dogs do strange sh*t

We have an arctic wolf hybrid that is by all indications, addicted to Colorado River Desert Toads.
That was the funniest thing I have heard all night!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #102
MyAlement
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll add my story, well really, my dog's story to this thread. When I first started brewing I wasn't aware of the potential dangers of toxicity of hops to dogs. Until then, I had my hops and other dry ingredients in a box on a shelf in my office. The day after brewing a porter, my dog, an Australian Shepherd, decided he liked the taste of the hops. I estimate he ate about 0.5 oz of hop pellets that were left over. My wife came home from work at lunch and noticed that he was panting heavily for no apparent reason. She discovered the torn up bag with the remnants of a 1 oz hops pack, and being the Google freak that she is, immediately started researching. She came across the same information cited in these threads about the potential toxicity of hops. She took Jack to the vet where they induced vomiting, gave him charcoal and put him on IV fluids. The vet also injected fluid that was iced down underneath his skin in between his shoulder blades to help bring his body temperature down. It helped, but his temp continued to climb through the evening and finally peaked at about 105, probably 4-6 hours after he ingested the hops. We ended up at the emergency vet for an overnight stay. Luckily, he pulled through, but we were really worried.

Now, all of my brewing ingredients are either locked in a closet in my office or in a minifridge in my office. I take extra precautions on brew day to ensure all hops remnants are bagged and trashed outside of the house (he likes to dumpster-dive on occasion). We are very fortunate that my wife came home when she did and took action when she did. Things could have been a lot worse.

My advice is to not even take the chance if you love your dog(s). We avoided the worst possible outcome, but ended up spending $1000 on vet bills on a completely avoidable situation. It may be relatively rare, but it happens.

If anyone out there is a vet or knows of a vet who is willing to do some more research, I would be happy to share Jack's records. I'm also contacting LHBS's to make their customers aware of the potential risks of hops toxicity.

On a lighter side, that porter was pretty damn tasty. It is now called Jack's Porter.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #103
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBrothersBrewery View Post
That was the funniest thing I have heard all night!
check this out...

http://www.erowid.org/archive/sonoran_desert_toad/smoke.htm

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #104
RainyDays
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Here is a link to a full-length, peer-reviewed article in a medical journal about household toxins for pets including hops.

http://www.fecava.org/sites/default/files/ejcap_20.pdf#page=33

Some of the pictures in the other articles in the journal are graphic so if you are sensitive don't scroll too far away from this toxins article!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #105
954surfer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sorry for your loss.
I had an incedent with my dog eating hops this past week. I just wanted to post the experience in case it could help somebody, so I just chose here. I knew hops were "bad" for dogs but didnt know the dosage that it could occur, or the actual effects. My dog is twenty lbs (breed Schipperke). I was dry hopping with pellets and three pellets bounced of the funnel and on the floor. The dog got one pellet, and I was able to get the other two pellets. I actually thought it would be a good thing, let him taste a little and find out how bad it tastes so he wont go after it ever again. I actually thought it was a little funny at the time. When I went to bed, the dog was panting. Sometimes he forgets to drink water, and I rolled my eyes and went to sleep. I woke up two hours later with he dog still standing there panting heavily, almost hyperventilating, looking up at me with a distressed looked. His heart was racing too. My mind raced back to the incident in the kitchen. It was too late to induce vomitting. I spent the rest of the night pouring water over him and sitting with him under the fan. He seemed to be slightly improving with time so I didnt take him to the vet. In the morning his pulse was still high, but the panting had gone down. I was really scared because every story I read online the dog died in the end. Sorry to the author of the post - I guess you dont need to read this - but it sounds like a horrible way to die. So +1, be careful with dogs and brewing, something really good could turn real real bad very easily. In case it does happen, here is what the vet would do.
http://www.fallbright.com/HopToxPage2.htm

Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #106
bulldawgbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Happened to my lab Jack tonight. He's still in the emergency clinic but his temp is starting to come down now. He ate about an ounce of spent leaf hops out of the compost pile, and started panting heavily a few hours later. By the time we got him to the emergency clinic his temp was at 105. The vet pretty much told us that Jack was going to die, causing my wife to go ballistic. Fortunately Jack ended up puking out the hops and with the cold IV and wet towel/fan combo his temp came under control. I feel lucky that he is gunna make it, considering most stories on this page don't end happily.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #107
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbrewer
Happened to my lab Jack tonight. He's still in the emergency clinic but his temp is starting to come down now. He ate about an ounce of spent leaf hops out of the compost pile, and started panting heavily a few hours later. By the time we got him to the emergency clinic his temp was at 105. The vet pretty much told us that Jack was going to die, causing my wife to go ballistic. Fortunately Jack ended up puking out the hops and with the cold IV and wet towel/fan combo his temp came under control. I feel lucky that he is gunna make it, considering most stories on this page don't end happily.
Best of luck to Jack! Here is to a full and speedy recovery!

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #108
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1372 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I hope Jack is doing better!

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #109
bulldawgbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, the hospital is keeping him for another 24 hours since his temp still won't come down below 102. I'm confident he's going to be fine, so now it's time to face the $1500 bill this is costing me!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #110
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

So, I'm the latest brewer to be too lax with regards to spent hops and my beloved pooch. She's a 65# Basset; she stinks to high heaven, is a born whiner, and possesses the most naturally pitiful "poor me" expression one could imagine, but I do love her dearly.

And she loves beer. Heck, sometimes I think she rivals me when it comes to the love of beer. She's no snob, though; she'll gladly quaff a BMC when the good stuff isn't readily available (i.e. when I turn my back long enough and forget that I have a beer remotely in reach of her height-challenged frame).

She even learned that if she pushed the picnic table in just the right spot, she would find herself amidst a cascading treasure trove of liquid gold. Fortunately, I eventually caught on to her antics. She may look pitiful and dumb, but she certainly had me fooled for quite some time. In all fairness, however, I'm probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyhow, given her love of beer, and knowing that it hasn't caused any overt problems to this point, I didn't think much about pouring the two cups of wort and trub on the pile of yard debris. Most of the spent hop pellets stayed in the sock, so there really wasn't much trub.

A couple of hours later, I noticed her panting and whimpering a little. But, she always whines and it was a warm, so, again, I didn't think too much about it. Then I noticed an unusual amount of restlessness. Her preferred state of existence is that of sleeping and she couldn't stay still long enough to nap. That's when it finally hit me that something could be wrong. Her body temp was elevated, but nothing crazy.

A quick search brought up information related to hops and potential toxicity. I attempted to induce vomiting, but there wasn't much for her to expel. I then put her in the tub with cold water and added some ice. That seemed to help a little. After the cooling bath, I had a fan on her for a few hours. That also seemed to help.

She was a bit restless through the night, but she was also able to get some sleep. This morning, she seemed much better: No panting and only a slightly elevated body temp. While the literature suggests the danger can exist for 36 hours, I felt she was doing well enough to leave her at home with a lot of water and a fan on if she needed.

Yes, I know this is only anecdotal information and conjecture on my part, but the unusual behavior of my dog and the symptoms exhibited by her are enough for me to speculate that hops may have had an negative impact on my pooch.

If my speculation is correct, I'm very *fortunate* that there was only a minimal amount of spent hop trub in the wort that I so thoughtlessly discarded. If I am incorrect, well, then, at the very least I will be far more aware of how I dispose of such debris in the future.

Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply