Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Damn you S04!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Went crazy on me just straight up pouring it in dry.

Not sure you'd want to make a starter with dry yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I read this when you posted it the other day, hadn't used S-04 for a while but decided to do so...woke up this morning and it was starting to come out of my airlock even with the 5 drops of FermcapS i used yesterday...had to quickly fasten a blow-off tube

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I wish yeast would go crazy for me like that! What's your trick? O2 stone?

s-04 ferments fast even if it doesn't go crazy.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am on the fence with s04, I need to try it in a few more beers. It left a weird taste in my pumpkin ale, although I may have let the fermentation run a bit hot. It was good in my Captain Hooked on Bitters Clone and so far seems good in my Chocolate Milk Stout. I do love how quickly it ferments and how clear it gets. I did however just buy 5 packs off ebay for 16 bucks shipped so I guess I am committed to it. Now that I buy my grain in bulk and my specialty grains several brews in advance I do like dry yeast because it means I can brew at the drop of a hat with no worries about a starter.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used SO-4 for my Strawberry Blond today for a 12 gal batch. My fermenter is 15 gal and I should have around 3 gal headspace so I'm not worried much about a blowout. I do like this yeast and keep a lot of it on hand. It hasn't failed me yet.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapsD View Post
I wish yeast would go crazy for me like that! What's your trick? O2 stone?

s-04 ferments fast even if it doesn't go crazy.
I always rehydrate my dry yeast and I hit it with pure O2 for 45-60 per 5 gallons. I was actually looking up reviews of S-04 on pro brewer and they were saying they got funny flavors when using O2 on the first pitch, but not on subsequent. I hadn't used it in a while so we will see how the flavor turns out this time around.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I rehydrated before pitching and always pitch the correct amount according to Mr.Malty. I've read Jamil's yeast book and now I always rehydrate my dry yeast before pitching.

This batch pitched and fermented at 67 degrees as suggested by the recipe. That is a temp controlled 67 degrees so that's the liquid temp.

I came home from work tonight 48 hours after pitching and the kraussen has completely dropped and while it is still bubbling like crazy there is a huge layer of yeast on the bottom.

I aerate using a venturi type vacuum T that coupled with my pump really sucks the air into the wort as it enters the fermenter. I don't think I'm doing anything special, just good processes and this yeast is just ape sh*t.

A word of warning on S04 though, the only time I've had diacetyl in one of my beers was when I fermented with S04. It was a beer I rushed and since it fermented out so fast I cold crashed it after 5 or 6 days and locked in the diacetyl. It's important with this yeast to give it another few days after you're sure fermentation has stopped so it can clean up after itself. The last beer I made with it was in primary for 14 days and has no sign of off flavors or diacetyl so this yeast can be very clean, it just needs more time that it appears. I normally also let the temp bump up a few degrees after most of the fermentation is done.

Quick Reply