Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Damaged beermail!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Default Damaged beermail!!

So FedEx tracking says damaged in transit. Returning to shipper. It was my understanding they toss leaking packages?

I had every bottle in a ziplock bag wrapped in bubble wrap and filled all the void space with shredded paper.

Anyone have this happen? I don't see how it could be damaged to the point of return with out making a mess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
neo71665
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The edge of the box might have ripped open and the contents survived. Then again you might get an empty box and have a happy FedEx guy.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

They do get rough with package handling sometimes. The trade I got from remmy had the corner & side of the box scruntched a bit,with one dented can. but they were all intact.
When I ship bottles,each bottle gets wrapped in small bubble wrap & taped. Then into a blue bag right side up. Then into another blue bag upside-down. The box gets lined with some large bubble wrap,then rolled/folded packing paper in the bottom. Baged bottles in,then fold large bubble wrap & more packing paper on the top. Force box flaps closed & tape it shut with FG reinforced tape. This way,they can't hear it slosh either. Then write on all sides "EXTREMELY FRAGILE" with a black marker.

Remmy Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

The most aggravating thing is it said out for delivery before that. So I'm picturing them dropping it during delivery.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
ObsidianJester
The God of Thunder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would say that its Fed Ex as I've never had a positive experience with them, but any of the carriers are just as bad. I can remember having some Powder and Primers shipped to me via UPS with their hazmat fee tacked on of course due to the dangerous items, then coming out of my house to have the UPS driver throwing my packages out then slamming them all together on my porch to greet him. Then there is this gem this year from a shipment from Sierra Nevada's gift shop arrived this summer..

So really it appears to be luck, I've had some terrible shipments from UPS but they are a high volume carrier for me. USPS is not great as I've had a higher incident of problems though them but my personal experience in both professional and personal use Fed Ex has Never once gotten anything right or to me undamaged.

I anticipate that the worst employees will handle my shippments every time both to me and from me. I'm not saying all employees are terrible but I've had enough damaged to anticipate that the worst things that can happen will.

Over packaged when possible and if it's something that's not covered by your shipper package it again for cushioning.

pic-06252013-001.jpg  

Primary 1 XM2A3 Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 XM7 Cascade IPA/Pale ale
Primary 3
Secondary 1 Sweet Mead.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
seph
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Also remember that FedEx Ground/Home is handled by contractors who get paid by the stop. Where as UPS Ground is actual UPS employees. This can play a large part as to the condition of the packages you receive/send.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Not to mention proximity to holidays & long weekends. They def get busy & practically fly by.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Remmy
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3050 Times on 2170 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
They do get rough with package handling sometimes. The trade I got from remmy had the corner & side of the box scruntched a bit,with one dented can. but they were all intact.
When I ship bottles,each bottle gets wrapped in small bubble wrap & taped. Then into a blue bag right side up. Then into another blue bag upside-down. The box gets lined with some large bubble wrap,then rolled/folded packing paper in the bottom. Baged bottles in,then fold large bubble wrap & more packing paper on the top. Force box flaps closed & tape it shut with FG reinforced tape. This way,they can't hear it slosh either. Then write on all sides "EXTREMELY FRAGILE" with a black marker.
I remember that.

What I have been doing since is double-boxing my trades. I just put a box within a box and haven't had any issues thus far. I also like to ship cans whenever possible over glass for obvious reasons.

more beer, more good

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I generally ship beer in heavy cardboard tubes I get from work. I can wrap a bottle in some bubble wrap and slide it into the tube, and then seal the ends with tape. Those things are nearly bulletproof.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 765

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...kages?click=pp

Packages labeled fragile get treated worse.

I read another suggestion that if you really want the package to get there in the best state label it "animal semen samples...caution." Seriously, it sounds hilarious but think about it.

Quick Reply