Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cutsom lab work for brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
DAlexander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cutsom lab work for brewers

If a smaller lab was willing to open its doors to homebrewers, what type of tests would you like to see available?

SRM
IBU
Diacytal
water profiles
ABV
???

I was talking with a lab tech about this and we were wondering what some of the popular tests would be for beers if hobby brewers really want to see the accuracy of their recipes and procedures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Not just diacetyl- you'll want the whole spectrum of off flavors (chlorphenol, ester, phenol, fusel, DMS, sulfur etc etc etc). Someone mentioned infection identification but that would be difficult to do. Quick PCR tests for common contaminants like lacto, pedio, brett, etc etc would be more doable, but lots of wild yeasts would be tough. Customers would probably have to purchase individual tests, or you could run a battery but it would be more expensive.

Hop growers might want hop analysis. %AA and %BA for a start, but maybe also oil content, humulone/cohumulone/adhumulone and myrcene content as well.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Uziyahu Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree with what daksin said.

SRM and ABV are pretty easy to figure out on your own.

I think yeast purity, water profiles, and home growers hop AA would be big along with the off flavor producing elements.
Water profiles are easy for most to get locally, so the price would have to be very competitive.

I've seen kits that have a small tasting sample of diacety, chlorphenol, ester, phenol, fusel and dms in order to know exactly what that flavor is and tastes like.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about microbiological testing? There are selective growth media for the identification of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and other beer spoilage organisms as well as wild yeast present in yeast cultures or finished beer.

Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I can understand the use of lab analysis for quality control in a commercial brewery, but I just don't see any reason for a homebrewer to need these. At the homebrew scale, and even as the principal method on the commercial scale, the best test is observing and tasting the beer throughout the process. Those are the skills you need to develop and sending samples to a lab isn't going to help you.

Inexpensive hop analysis is a good idea that I think is already being offered.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

If it's interesting and cheap, why not? If you're constantly plagued by an off flavor and can't pin it down, it'd be helpful to know. Also, it's interesting to know how your IBU calculations line up with the actual IBUs in the beer.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Water profiles.
IBU of finished beer.
Homegrown hop analysis.

I would definitely be interested in water sample testing. My county doesn't test salt levels, I have to assume that the next county over is identical. If the price is right, I'd send my supposed 120 IBU DIPA over to see how far below 100 it really is.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
adrock430
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Find a place that does liquid chromatography - mass spec...this would give you all the chemical info like IBUs, ABV, diacetyl, phenols, etc. if some reads it for you. I don't know how expensive this would be, or who does it, but I'd shoot for a nearby research college. One shouldn't be too far living in CA.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Dissolved oxygen.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As a few others have eluded to, the real issue is cost. While it would be cool to see an analysis of our beers, it is not necessary for the home brewer. Unlike the big breweries, we are not trying to pump out tank after tank of identical beers. However, if the cost were low enough, then there would be interest. I don't know what that cost cutoff would need to be, but when you can make a 5 gallon batch for less than $30, you have to take that into account when deciding how much a home brewer wants to spend to see if his/her ABV or IBU calculations are accurate.

Hop AA% would be really interesting, but again, most of us are growing less than a dozen plants. If you have 3 different varieties, you need 3 separate tests. AND, theoretically you need to do this every year.

Update the forum if the lab is interested. This is a great place to get feedback. They could offer a basic test for a couple of bucks and then have extra tests if there is something specific that a brewer wants to test. Same with hop analysis.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Quick Reply