Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cut back on Beer because the belly is too big?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #71
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #72
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3078 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 5866

y'all could do what I did: get a tape worm! I named mine Phil. huh? Phil?

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Channel 5 news is reporting g I'm smacked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #73
PanzerBanana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I burn enough working to cover a good beer. Plus my diet is mostly decent and I take opportunities to exercise a bit at home. I usually only have one beer a night when I'm in a mood to enjoy them. Now a lazy weekend hanging with my girl and friends at the pub. Then it's a good thing I walk several miles a day. Because I like my beers hearty.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #74
buzzman003
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Good stuff guys. I signed up for a myfitnesspal account and got the app on my iPad. I now have two days logged. Most of my diet has been homemade sandwiches and whole veggies and fruits so it has been easy to track. I also like that you can scan the barcode of a product and add it, like orange juice. Then I can log my workouts. I have been logging on the "high: side for food, and "low" side for exercise. I should be losing about 1.5 pounds a week.

I also decided that I really need to lose about 10 pounds and not 6. You can really see the difference when you're normally 6'2" and 173. 183 when it all goes to your gut looks terrible. I feel like a fat bastard!

I also started doing parts of the insanity workout while watching TV. Nothing to crazy, just the running in place, football moves, high knees, crunches, push-ups. Enough to really get a sweat and heart rate up. I did that last night and about to do it again. It only adds up to about 140 calories after 30 or 40 minutes, but that could be because I am tracking it low.

Any way - I took your advice and started incorporating it into my lifestyle. Thanks again!

Primary 1: None Primary 2: None Secondary 1: NB Whitehouse Honey Ale Secondary 2: None Draft Keg 1: Boulevard Brewing Tank 7 Draft Keg 2: Belgian Double Draft Keg 3: Chinook IPA Draft Keg 4: Michelob Ultra Bottles: Dunkelwiezen Bottles: Imperial Porter Bottles: Pumpkin Ale (only one left) - To brew: Hefeweizen, AG

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #75
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To combat my belly i just mainline the beer straight from the carboy..quicker buzz less calories..haha..no i do try and limit my beer consumtion to a healthy level..more for my liver then my gut..I had very high enzymes last check up so i have to sacrifice..I want to drink 12 a day but i drink 2 a day..cheers

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #76
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I cut out processed grains (except for those in my beer) and so did Bob and we're both slim, lean and fit. I don't count calories, or even take them into account. I eat "real food", all the time. .
This is interesting to me b/c I lost about 50# by cutting out processed grains and exercising more. Gotta say, I felt amazing eating that way.

Yooper, do you mostly just eat meat, veggies, and nuts? Or am I missing a subtlety to your diet?

Thanks!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #77
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
This is interesting to me b/c I lost about 50# by cutting out processed grains and exercising more. Gotta say, I felt amazing eating that way.

Yooper, do you mostly just eat meat, veggies, and nuts? Or am I missing a subtlety to your diet?

Thanks!
Make meat a secondary to veggies.
Don't eat fruit after a meal, give an hour or so before eating fruits.
Nuts are an excellent snack and contain a lot of protein.
Don't overdo the protein as the human body only needs something like 6 grams a day of protein to remain healthy (Do some research on this)
Shop the outside aisles of the store, everything in the aisles is crap food so keep it limited.
Once a week break your diet, then go right back to it. Having a rigid diet schedule is mentally taxing and you will always fall off the wagon if you try.
Lower intake of processed grains in things like breads and such, it is easy and has far more flavor than white bread or heavily processed wheat breads and is easy to do as well.
Exercise regularly, get your heart rate up for 30 minutes a day minimum.
Drink lots of water, cut sugars such as adding it to coffee (my downfall).

Biggest thing is to track calories and figure your intake needed to make it through a day...not the RDA average but do some math by trial and error then stick to it. As wass mentioned myfitnesspal which is available on Iphone or Droid OS is an easy way to do a lot of this.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #78
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

When I was on the protien diet,I got16oz of protien per day split bewtween 3-4 meals. Balanced by good carbs,not bad ones. Shelled beans are bad,brussel sprouts boarderline diet-wise. I have the bok here somewhere. But more veggies than protien isn't quite right. Carbs are not my friend. I wind up needing more protiens than carbs. Carbs are like empty energy that takes a surprising amount of effort to burn. A lot more than even 2 hours can get rid of. I see stuff like this on today show as well.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #79
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
When I was on the protien diet,I got16oz of protien per day split bewtween 3-4 meals. Balanced by good carbs,not bad ones. Shelled beans are bad,brussel sprouts boarderline diet-wise. I have the bok here somewhere. But more veggies than protien isn't quite right. Carbs are not my friend. I wind up needing more protiens than carbs. Carbs are like empty energy that takes a surprising amount of effort to burn. A lot more than even 2 hours can get rid of. I see stuff like this on today show as well.
Depends a lot on the type of carbs you are taking in, not all carbs are the same and the body converts them very differently while both are still needed by the body in some amounts.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #80
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

That's why I made an example of "good" & "bad" carbs. The protien diet book has lists that go into a lot of detail about good & bad carbs as relates to diet. But in a nutshell,3/4's of your plate shouldn't be carbs. Balance is needed. The whole idea being that protiens are more complex molecules that use a lot of carbs to break down. That's why the diet works. You need to raise your keytone usage While keeping your insulin level exeptable. I'd have to dig the book out to get more accurate.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply