The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cut back on Beer because the belly is too big?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #141
ScotBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always had a high metabolism which I feel very lucky to have! Can eat and drink a ton and my weight is pretty much stays where it is. 6'1 and 185lbs. Although in saying that I do need/want to lose around 10-15lbs. Just been too damn lazy to get to the gym. SWMBO is the house chef(I seem to do everything else!) and she's on a healthy cooking craze atm which is actually been pretty good.

Although in saying that I'm a soccer coach and I'm usually on the field 3 hours a day during the week and anything up to 6-7 hours a day at weekends depending on my schedule.

Primary 3 - Empty
Drinking - Pumpkin Ale & American Red
On deck - House Pale Ale & 80 Shilling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #142
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I don't believe there is such a thing as genetic high metabolism. Metabolism is the amount of energy your body needs to survive. It depends on muscle mass age weight. We all have the same base rate, then we control the results, through exercise, weight, and sleep. If you think you have high metabolism that usually means you are just burning more calories than you take in. Its all numbers. Whatever is not burned is consumed and adds to your waistline.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #143
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

To the OP:

Google couch to 5K. It is a very easy running program that will ease into running/walking a 5K. If anything, do it to keep the wife from nagging you for drinking too much beer! I did a 5K last weekend and I'm still a bit sore as I didn't prepare...at all, but I had zero guilt drinking a few beers later that night.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #144
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken

That actually isn't the best way to do things. If you eat real food (meats, eggs, natural fats, vegetables) you are actually likely to eat less and get all the nutrients that you need. Look into "moderate carbohydrate primal eating" and have beer on you cheat days. DON'T eat "light" foods with fake crap and chemicals in them.

And yeah, you have to get off your butt and exercise, but that doesn't necessarily mean gym. Walk, a lot. Do whatever you can to work some walking into your day. It's a really good fat burning exercise if you do enough of it.
I've been on a gym slump but walking more. I listen to the brewing network or any beer podcast. It's healthy, relaxing and educational!

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #145
Sshamash
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Replace a few meals a week with an imperial porter...win win. Maybe a side of lettuce.

Primary: Snake Dog Clone, Belgian Chamomile Pale,
Secondary: Oaky Hard Cider, Saison
Bottled and waiting on:
Drinking:, Gingerbread Porter, Nutbrown Variety (Chocoalte, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Bourbon, Coffee, regualr), ESB, Bourbon Porter, Honey Wheat IPA, Meyer Witbier, Galaxy SMaSH

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #146
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I don't believe there is such a thing as genetic high metabolism. Metabolism is the amount of energy your body needs to survive. It depends on muscle mass age weight. We all have the same base rate, then we control the results, through exercise, weight, and sleep. If you think you have high metabolism that usually means you are just burning more calories than you take in. Its all numbers. Whatever is not burned is consumed and adds to your waistline.
People have varying levels of insulin resistance. Some people eat donuts every day and stay slender. Others look at a donut and get fat. Don't tell me there's no genetics there.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #147
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken

That actually isn't the best way to do things. If you eat real food (meats, eggs, natural fats, vegetables) you are actually likely to eat less and get all the nutrients that you need. ...
DON'T eat "light" foods with fake crap and chemicals in them.
+1. Read labels on the back and ignore the advertising BS on the front of the package. Or eat whole, real food like an apple that has no label.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #148
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
People have varying levels of insulin resistance. Some people eat donuts every day and stay slender. Others look at a donut and get fat. Don't tell me there's no genetics there.
That's what I mean. When I played soccer in my youth I played alongside other kids who couldn't go near a fast food place and would add on the pounds. Me on the other hand, I was all over the burgers and fries and I'd lose weight!
Primary 3 - Empty
Drinking - Pumpkin Ale & American Red
On deck - House Pale Ale & 80 Shilling

Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #149
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshamash View Post
Replace a few meals a week with an imperial porter...win win. Maybe a side of lettuce.
you're crazy. cabbage goes with Imperial Porter, not lettuce. lettuce goes with Imperial Pilsner.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #150
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
amen, brofrush! me, my dad, and 3 of his brothers have amazingly fast metabolism. along with a few of my cousins on that side as well. most of us have to double our caloric intake just to keep up. none of my sisters have it. my mothers side gains weight if they walk near a bakery.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Quick Reply