Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cut back on Beer because the belly is too big?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #131
Tuby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I only drink on the weekends, tends to keep the belly under control !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #132
Yuri4x4
Recipes 

"Urban Hiking"

Walk to the bar, walk to the store, walk whenever. You can easily walk 2-3 miles in an hour. Try walking for those short trips instead of driving. Go walk around the mall or the grocery store with the old lady. It's easier to do if you give yourself a purpose. If I called my Sunday morning walk to get the paper "exercise", I would be miserable. But "Hiking" is fun. Who WANTS to exercise? Keeping active is easier if you don't make a conscious routine, and don't call it something negative (like "work" or "exercise"). Would you rather go "urban hiking" or "exercise"? It's a mind game to help you remain positive.

Sometimes I'll even stop for a beer mid-hike, just to re-affirm that this isn't "working out". (You can't drinking beer in the middle of "exercise".)

For what it's worth.... I don't know that this will help you lose weight at all. But it makes my walks more enjoyable if I stop and smell the roses, read inscriptions on monuments, snap pictures of stupid stuff, etc.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #133
Craigmn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can too drink beer in the middle of exercise. We have a pub run here with a thing called the Guinness challenge; four pints of Guinness throughout the 5k run.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #134
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't want to sound like "Debby Downer", but be careful guys. Having a beer belly can cause diabetes. And diabetes can cause a whole slew of health problems. I love beer just as much as the rest of you, but had to cut back. Best to nip these problems in the bud before they happen.

If you have too, buy some Natty Light. The horrid taste will only make you drink a partial and throw the rest away, LOL!

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #135
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is the exact reason why I started buying low calorie foods and dressings. Eat a little better so you can drink a little more. I may have to cut back my intake a bit seeing as I can go through 5 gallons in a couple of weeks depending on how much time I actually spend at home.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #136
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I've moved to a Friday/Saturday thing and if I exercise a lot, I get one beer on Wednesday night. It sucks to want to brew and try new recipes and knowing I can't do anything with the beer. Maybe I should start doing 1 gallon batches.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #137
IffyG
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I don't want to sound like "Debby Downer", but be careful guys. Having a beer belly can cause diabetes. And diabetes can cause a whole slew of health problems.
I hate to be a science nerd... but none of those studies will say beer bellys CAUSE diabetes. They can only go as far as saying it is associated with diabetes. Futhermore, there is a disagreement in the literature as to whether visceral fat (beer belly) or intrahepatic fat (liver fat) is a better marker for metabolic disease.

It certainly doesn't mean carrying extra fat is a good thing, but it irks me when the media throws things out there that are poorly explained and people parrot it back without looking into the actual research. The most recent example was the story about hops having antiviral properties (while leaving out that you would need to drink 30 beers a day for it to make a difference).

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #138
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've read that the beer belly and heavy beer consumption has been shown to increase rates of insulin resistance, which is a warning sign of diabetes, as I understand it.

Beef alone may not cause diabetes but if you have a diet that's conducive to diabetes, beers not gonna help.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #139
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 5559

well, I'm gonna have my last Velvet Rooster and a banana cream pie. and I might inject corn syrup into my neck, but maybe later.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Channel 5 news is reporting g I'm smacked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #140
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaz7331 View Post
This is the exact reason why I started buying low calorie foods and dressings. Eat a little better so you can drink a little more. I may have to cut back my intake a bit seeing as I can go through 5 gallons in a couple of weeks depending on how much time I actually spend at home.
That actually isn't the best way to do things. If you eat real food (meats, eggs, natural fats, vegetables) you are actually likely to eat less and get all the nutrients that you need. Look into "moderate carbohydrate primal eating" and have beer on you cheat days. DON'T eat "light" foods with fake crap and chemicals in them.

And yeah, you have to get off your butt and exercise, but that doesn't necessarily mean gym. Walk, a lot. Do whatever you can to work some walking into your day. It's a really good fat burning exercise if you do enough of it.

Quick Reply