Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Curse you, green bottles!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Curse you, green bottles!

So I've been slowly gathering parts for a kegerator, and one of the first uses will be to use the temperature control to create a lager. I've been trying to make up my mind on what sort of style to shoot for (bavarian/bohemian pils, helles, vienna, etc). Along those lines, I've been trying different imports I've found.

I consider it research. And I do enjoy research!

But here's the problem---many of them come in green bottles. UV-passing, skunk-producing green bottles. Some were so bad that I won't even cook with them!

Why in the world would respected breweries (Pilsner Urquell comes to mind) package their products in vessels which are destined to damage the product! Is it tradition, or some sort of misguided marketing?

Whatever it is, I wish they'd stop... I'll take my beer without the skunk!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont think the bottles are your problem...unless you are storing them in a bright area. I have used green bottles, clear bottles, amber bottles, clear plastic 20 oz coke bottles. Could be an infection...just saying.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
HangLoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to keep green bottles on hand and skunk some on purpose sometimes. Seems like lots of people like the taste, I know I do sometimes. If your worried about it just keep them in the dark all of the time, I used to box my bottles right after filling them and put a towel over em to let them carb up. Then I stick them in the back of the fridge. Now I keg my beer so I have what ever kind of bottles I want (I saved lots).

I like to see the difference between brown and green bottles, it seems fairly subtle unless the beer has seen LOTS of light - like hours of sun light. Otherwise the difference seems small to me (though I'm sure really hoppy beers could get bad quick...)

Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, some people seem to associate the skunky taste with import lager... I see it as a (pretty nasty) flaw.

I've had several import lagers on tap, and they're usually very different beasts. Smooth, floral and complex. But when I get bottles it seems like the skunk overwhelms any subtle flavors.

I don't know, maybe the distributor network is mishandling it... either way, I wouldn't choose to put MY beer in green bottles!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 76

My beer never sees daylight long enough to get skunked. It goes from box to fridge to pee so fast you'd think it was on steroids.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I don't think he is looking on ways to stop skunking. He is lamenting the fact that all of bottles he bought for "research" to see what style he wants to brew are skunked.

I have the same problem with Saison Dupont. Its to the point where I've given up on it. Hennepin comes in a brown bottle, so I buy that.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
HangLoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh right, I see what you mean now. I guess I had the same problem, except I gave up on that so long ago I forgot I even tried!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Possibly foreign breweries expect the distribution system to treat the bottles with care. This is a bad assumption for the US market.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply