Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Curse of the Bottle Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
cbg96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Curse of the Bottle Bomb

So, I'm upstairs peacefully reading the paper when from downstairs there comes a muffled "thump." "My, what might that be," SWMBO and I wonder. She goes down to check - hey, I'm drinking coffee...I'm busy - and first place she looks is the unplugged freezer where the bottles are. Sure enough, one of 'em has gone POW.

Now, sure, it wasn't exactly a BEER bottle. It was an empty syrup bottle. I'd run out of beer bottles and had enough beer after the last go-round for another bottle - what to use, what to use...AH! Empty syrup bottle! It's twelve ounces, it'll work!

Back to the present, the bottle split essentially in half right about halfway up. Two pieces with a little third quarter size piece that came flying off. The cap was still on and the bottom was intact.

Made for an interesting morning, that's for sure. I'm hoping that because it was a bottle not exactly made to handle internal pressure that the others will be safe.

Drinking - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops Version II with less hops and more fermentables - bottled Nov. 17

Deep Reserve - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops (into the bottles on October 11); a winner & saving 5 bottles out

Deep Reserve - LHBS Recipe IPA - first effort Sept. 13, good stuff but undercarbed; saving 4 bottles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg96 View Post
I'm hoping that because it was a bottle not exactly made to handle internal pressure that the others will be safe.
That would be my guess. Any bottle conditioned beer is under pressure. The glass can withstand it, to an extent.

A plastic syrup bottle is not strong enough, wouldn't you agree?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
cbg96
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster View Post
That would be my guess. Any bottle conditioned beer is under pressure. The glass can withstand it, to an extent.

A plastic syrup bottle is not strong enough, wouldn't you agree?

Ah, not plastic. This baby was glass.

Drinking - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops Version II with less hops and more fermentables - bottled Nov. 17

Deep Reserve - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops (into the bottles on October 11); a winner & saving 5 bottles out

Deep Reserve - LHBS Recipe IPA - first effort Sept. 13, good stuff but undercarbed; saving 4 bottles

Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Chupacabras
Recipes 

For best results, bottle in wine bottles

Here's a plug for my boss. Check Brewery Lane out if you live in Atlantic Canada.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Aunt Jemimah never could handle her liquor.

Quick Reply