HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Curious about a brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Joewillyflop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Curious about a brew

My brother and his wife are deeply involved with beer making. I visited them this past weekend and sampled some exceptional home brews. I would like some imput on an idea my brother and I came up with for a very special brew. So here is the question......

Would it be illegal to use the ashes of someone (cremation) to brew beer? I know this sounds sort of morbid but we believe it would perpetuate the soul of the deceased into his/her family and friends. We do believe that by making a beer with the ashes, that person becomes a part of the drinkers and is forever with us.

We would, of course, inform any friends/family of what we did before any drinking would occur. My family is behind us but maybe not all of our friends. So we would give them the choice.

Tell me what you think. We are not crackpots and we truly believe that this is a good idea.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
Scott

Recipes 

Default Interesting Question

I'm not sure of the exact answer to your question. But you could start by checking with someone who is familiar with state laws and federal laws. It might fall under "estate and will planning" as a section of law...but that's just a guess.

Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post you entered with....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of all the random weird threads that I could have stumbled upon...

Zobiebrau anyone?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well there, Joe, Whatever blows your hair back...

Since you wouldn't be selling said beer to the general public, I don't think you have a problem, but I can't say that it would be a good idea.

This is an assumption, but I would imagine said person passed recently? I would let this idea sit for a few months or longer then re-visit it when you're not quite so emotional. If I'm waaaay off base here I apologize.

Maybe honor that person with a slick name for the beer?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
DanVader
Recipes 

That is a little different, and not really something I would want to do, (or drink) but it sounds like a cool way to honor someone you care about. +1 on a warning, I'd be fairly annoyed at finding out after the fact. Might want some good labeling or controlled storage, it'd be a pisser to accidentely drink the last "grampa"

Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
jmiracle

Recipes 

As a practical matter...have you ever seen cremains (the ashes of a cremated person)? Not to be gross or anything but...there tend to be various-sized chunks of bone in there, and the ashes themselves are gritty, black, and heavy-not a light powder by any means. I can't imagine a way that you could even add it to be beer where it wouldn't just precipitate back out, unless maybe you're talking about adding a pinch to the batch as kind of a symbolic gesture? Because that would probably be fine.

EDIT: As far as I know (law student at the end of first year) there's no trouble you can get into for doing stuff with cremains unless obviously you steal them or whatever.

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If someone is willing to do this, i have a hard time believing they're going to care whether it's legal or not.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I make a cream stout called Larry Allen stout in memory of one of my fallen friends.Theres no chunks of him in there,but everyone toasts with one on the anniversary of his death.Not trying to be insencitive,But you don't need a part of the dead person to honor them.That is what cannibals in the amazon do.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
chris1979
Recipes 

cant be any legal issues but why just why. grandpa sure made a good beer.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I think you are fine legally. If it is something that you would like to do and your family is behind you I suppose go for it. Otherwise brew something strong that you can dedicate to your family member and open up one a year on their birthday or something to celebrate their life.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply