The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Curiosity about spent grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Curiosity about spent grains

Yesterday when I was outside doing my boil I was idly watching my huge pile of over 100 lbs of spent grains from prior batches in the back of my yard.

I started thinking about it when I saw a male and female Cardinal feeding on the pile.

I am curious. Shouldn't my grains be depleted of all nutrition from mash conversion and rinsing?

I hear plenty about people using this grain for dog treats and bread and whatnot. But it seems as though the mashing and rinsing process should have removed 90%+ of the nutritional value from these grains. If I'm doing my job properly that is.

The birds seem to understand what I'm talking about because they rarely feed on this huge pile of free food and I have a large bird population in my back yard.

Anyway, these are the types of thing I think about while watching my wort boil.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
ewbish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Yesterday when I was outside doing my boil I was idly watching my huge pile of over 100 lbs of spent grains from prior batches in the back of my yard.

I started thinking about it when I saw a male and female Cardinal feeding on the pile.

I am curious. Shouldn't my grains be depleted of all nutrition from mash conversion and rinsing?

I hear plenty about people using this grain for dog treats and bread and whatnot. But it seems as though the mashing and rinsing process should have removed 90%+ of the nutritional value from these grains. If I'm doing my job properly that is.

The birds seem to understand what I'm talking about because they rarely feed on this huge pile of free food and I have a large bird population in my back yard.

Anyway, these are the types of thing I think about while watching my wort boil.

Nope, almost all the feed value remains........something in the neighborhood of 90% of the protein is untouched, and that's the ingredient of primary feed value. Plus, the conversion process releases a lot of sugars and such that normally wouldn't be there........spent grain consequently is a massive growth booster.......it's phenomenal for finishing hogs and broilers.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Interestingly enough, I too have noticed cardinals favoring my compost heap ever since I went all-grain. Never had them in my yard too often before then, even though I had tons of finches, starlings, and robins. But now, in the spring/summer/fall months, the cardinals make frequent visits. Could be a coincidence, but I do wonder if cardinals have a particular fondness for barley.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 02-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
bottle-o-jeff
Recipes 

This is the same thing that goes on with corn based ethanol. What's left after the conversion is usually sold as feedstock.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Not sure about the cardinals. I have a tall shrub that a pair of cardinals has nested in the three winters I have been at this house. I have to assume it is the same couple.

Good to know about the feed. Curious again that there is not a massive feeding frenzy going on out there this winter. Ungrateful buggers. Give them 100 pounds of delicious food and they are like 'meh, I'll wait for the good stuff.'

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
suedagardener
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, If any of you are in CA...save me your grain!!!!! I want it!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
amedelman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A lot of breweries send their spent grains to be used as feed for livestock. I know that Harpoon in Boston does this, they mentioned it during the tour

Primary: On the Fly RyePA
Secondary: Edwort's Apfelwein, Imperial IPA
In Bottles: Black IPA, Belgian Dark Strong
Planning: Brandon O's Graff, Java Stout

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
tflew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedagardener View Post
ok, If any of you are in CA...save me your grain!!!!! I want it!!!
I'm in CA...want my grain?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
suedagardener
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry, drive is a little far. I'm in No Central CA!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
wells11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I throw mine in a compost pile, and the next day it's gone, most likely deer eat it or it could be a squatch!

Quick Reply