Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Culturing Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Drifter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Culturing Yeast

I have successfully created slants and grew the colonies and pitched them. Here's my question I made 6 slants from an original WYeast slap -pack. Now I am down to one slant, what is the proper way to make more slants with this last slant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I freeze my yeast instead of using slants, but what I do when I am down to my last culture is to make a starter with it (being extra careful about sanitation) and then I'll use that starter to freeze more yeast. Since I don't use much yeast out of the starter I can then pitch it into wort if I need, otherwise it just goes to waste.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I have successfully created slants and grew the colonies and pitched them. Here's my question I made 6 slants from an original WYeast slap -pack. Now I am down to one slant, what is the proper way to make more slants with this last slant.
Make more slants, and use your noc loop to inoculate the new slants from the old. As always, use your sterile-as-possible technique, flaming/quenching, etc.

Purists might suggest that you plate out the culture from the last slant into a petri dish first, grow that, then inoculate the new slants. This might be indicated if you are concerned about the health or purity of that last culture. I've had good success both ways.

I just recultured a slant that was 8mos old and it took off fine on the plate.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would add one more point. That is when you are culturing from a slant, there is no need (if you keep things sterile) to discard the slant. I use a 10 ml first step propogation and just a noc loop (pinhead size) volume of yeast stolen from the slant is adequate. At this consumption rate, one slant will be adequate for many propogations.

I have a nice 1318 London Ale starter from this method happily spinning and churning away on the stirplate right now.

I make multiple slants of the same yeast, just to have backup spares on hand. (anal retentive engineer who works satellite reliability here)

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Race, how are you handling that first 10ml step? I've tried a few different methods and all seem to work, but wanted to get feedback on best practices:

* smaller volume like 5ml in a culture tube, still

* 10ml in a 50ml flask, still

* 10ml in a 50ml flas, my smallest stirbar thrashing around in the shallow pool

Quick Reply