Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Crockpot mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
gannawdm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Crockpot mash?

Has anybody tried a crockpot mash? I'm doing a partial mash recipe which only calls for 1.5 lbs. of grain. This amount easily fits into my crockpot. I was thinking that a crock pot would keep a mash's temperature steady since it's insulated well and the "keep warm" temperature is probably just about right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Far, far too impatient to let a crockpot warm up. But, that's me.

Do a simple experiment; check the temp on the "keep warm" setting and report back. It'll either be in range or not. I'd imagine that different crockpots may define "keep warm" differently, so it may or may not be viable for different brewers.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I've done partials and steeps with a crockpot. I did check the low setting temperature and it was about 160 as I recall ('twas a few years ago). It worked fine for me. I would heat it up first by putting some hot water in before I did the mash. And check the temp from time to time. You can always turn it off for a while if it starts getting too hot.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've had many many crock pots over the years. No two seem to cook at the same temp. It must be tested before you use it.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

even the low setting will be much higher than 150F, probably closer to 190F, but I think hes just talking about using it for insulating purposes.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle View Post
I've done partials and steeps with a crockpot. I did check the low setting temperature and it was about 160 as I recall ('twas a few years ago). It worked fine for me. I would heat it up first by putting some hot water in before I did the mash. And check the temp from time to time. You can always turn it off for a while if it starts getting too hot.
If you're preheating the water and babysitting the temperature, what's the point? Build a proper cooler-based mini mash tun, won't cost much $$ snd it'll maintain temps properly.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have one of these--I do partial boils for small batches; heat water to dissolve honey for meads; and heat water for general cleanup. I brew in my workshop which doesn't have running water. I haven't checked it at mash temps but the specs say it can go down to 150*F

Presto Multi-Cooker/Steamer:
This handy multi-cooker roasts, braises, blanches, boils, stews, simmers, steams, and makes soups and casseroles. Maintain accurate cooking temperature using the Control Master heat control. Made of heavy cast aluminum, this versatile unit heats evenly and resists warping. And the Diamond Coat deluxe nonstick finish inside and out means you'll spend less time cleaning and more time enjoying the company of family and friends. Cooker is completely immersible with the heat control removed. Includes see-through glass cover and basket. (Item #188754) w7

Product Characteristics:
Model No.: 06000
Width: 13-in. (handle to handle)
Diameter: 9.5-in.
Height: 7.5-in.
Capacity: 6-qt.
Auto Shut Off: No
Adjustable Thermostat: Temperature range-150-400 degrees
Cleaning & Care: Dishwasher-safe
Volts/Watts: 120-volts / 1300-watts
Origin: USA

Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

The point was it worked for me when I was using it, and didn't require that much effort. Less than building a mini mash tun. I went to all grain soon after I started using it, and it's now history.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
gannawdm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I left some water in my crockpot and left it on the "Keep Warm" setting overnight. This morning, the temperature was steady at 160.

So I'm thinking I might try adding my water long before I plan to brew, so when I'm ready, it will be at 160. Adding the grain should bring the temperature down. Then I'll put the lid back on and let the temperature climb up through the 150s.

Or, when I'm ready to brew, I can add water at well below 150 and then periodically check the temp. Once it's at 145 or so, add my grains and then remove once it's climbed past 155ish.

Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannawdm View Post
I left some water in my crockpot and left it on the "Keep Warm" setting overnight. This morning, the temperature was steady at 160.

So I'm thinking I might try adding my water long before I plan to brew, so when I'm ready, it will be at 160. Adding the grain should bring the temperature down. Then I'll put the lid back on and let the temperature climb up through the 150s.

Or, when I'm ready to brew, I can add water at well below 150 and then periodically check the temp. Once it's at 145 or so, add my grains and then remove once it's climbed past 155ish.

Thoughts?
Velly Intelesting

Quick Reply