Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cream ale. Temp and yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Cream ale. Temp and yeast question

Grabbed a cream ale extract kit today at the LHBS to brew for my wife with some Nottingham ale yeast. Been using Nottingham a lot this winter because my basement had been in the low 60's and I've been making great beer. It occurred to me that with my basement now at 68 with the onset of summer I might have issues. I also noticed that the recipe calls for fermentation in the low 60's followed by a couple weeks at lager temps.

I have a packet of S-04 in the fridge, should I use this instead? How will the warm temps and lack of layering effect my brew/style? I don't have a fermentation cooler.

Edit, as long as I and up with a decent clean tasting law mower beer the wife will be happy with it.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I also have an S-05 in the fridge. ShoUld I go with that?

Edit. Went with S-05

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 06-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
dkmitg
Recipes 

05 was a good choice its a nice aggressive strain that can do wonders. Me and my buddy put together two different cream ale recipes and I wanted to experiment with adding sugar to increase the alcohol content, his we kept it more traditional both turned out amazing and is the most well received beer I've made. This is mostly because I'm in college and most people are BMC drinkers though. I would be interested in how the 04 went but to stay in style you picked the right one.

Quick Reply