The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cream Ale in 10 words or less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
danlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cream Ale in 10 words or less

I'm intrigued by cream ale. Could anyone chip in with opinions and suggestions on brewing one, and any pitfalls to avoid?

Obviously it is more a US style of beer, but to be honest it doesn't half remind me of some of the simpler, less prestigious UK beers with its adjunct use and aim of being easy drinking, lighter, cheaper and faster out the door for drinking. It's aiming roughly for the same target taste I think. Cleanish tasting pseudolager, without all that difficult, time consuming German brewing expertise and attention to quality

So what is the best way of brewing a good one simply? I'm AG and would look to dry yeast as I'm not prepared enough just at the moment to get a starter going. No posh lagering gear either, just simple cooler mashtun+boiler+brew bucket.

Malt would be MO, because that is what I have. It seems that even paler malts would be the ideal though, but hey. Hop wise, I have a freezer full of UK hops, some unopened saaz, aurora and hallertauer hersbrucker and some high alpha NZ ones.

So, any experiences or thoughts on
- lager yeasts at room temps or cooler, cleaner ale yeasts?
- what approach to hops? High alpha in the boil then just a hint of something tasty as a flavour addition?
- hop types? Traditionally lager types rather than ale types maybe?
- what adjuncts give what flavours? Should I be thinking flaked rice, maize, simple sugars or a mix? What proportions would you get away with?
- is the aim to go for a very dry finish, or is a little bit of sweetness preferred just to hold on behind the low hopping rates?
- am I wasting my time and I'd be better off just doing a straight, unfussy, all malt pale ale instead of trying to cut the same corners that megabreweries get slated for cutting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Skorat's recipe is the best Cream Ale I've ever made

http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/be...cipe-archives/

Edit

A clean dry yeast such as S-05 or Nottingham fermented on the cool end would also work

Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
eelpout
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Favorite cream ale recipie
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/

Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've never tried a cream ale. I hear good things.

(That's 10 words)

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I should up the word count so people can do cream ale haikus ?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Brew cream of three crops
It's a good style example
Plus, it tastes real good

Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
Brew cream of three crops
It's a good style example
Plus, it tastes real good
He said ten words or less, not a haiku...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I do what I want.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad View Post
I'm intrigued by cream ale. Could anyone chip in with opinions and suggestions on brewing one, and any pitfalls to avoid?

Obviously it is more a US style of beer, but to be honest it doesn't half remind me of some of the simpler, less prestigious UK beers with its adjunct use and aim of being easy drinking, lighter, cheaper and faster out the door for drinking. It's aiming roughly for the same target taste I think. Cleanish tasting pseudolager, without all that difficult, time consuming German brewing expertise and attention to quality
Weeeeeeelllll...not so much.

It is a clean, light, pseudo-lager. While an ale, it has many light lager characteristics, including low bitterness (and hops flavor/aroma) and rather large proportions of adjuncts in the grist.

It is not a cheaper, faster-out-the-door beer requiring relatively low experience and no attention to quality. In point of fact, quite the inverse is true - the lower the flavor threshold, the greater skill is required to brew something worth drinking.

Essentially, Cream Ale is a Premium Lager with a bit more flavor from yeast esters and slightly elevated hops profiles. Pre-Prohibition examples were more robust, just like Pre-Pro Premium Lagers.

Quote:
So what is the best way of brewing a good one simply? I'm AG and would look to dry yeast as I'm not prepared enough just at the moment to get a starter going. No posh lagering gear either, just simple cooler mashtun+boiler+brew bucket.

Malt would be MO, because that is what I have. It seems that even paler malts would be the ideal though, but hey. Hop wise, I have a freezer full of UK hops, some unopened saaz, aurora and hallertauer hersbrucker and some high alpha NZ ones.
First, let me say that Cream of 3 Crops is an excellent choice. What follows is my advice.

Okay. MO is really not the base malt for this. You can use it, but it is suboptimal. You really want a Pils or even 6-row pale malt. I use 6-row, though 2-row (non-MO) can be used in a mix. Use at least 20% adjunct in the grist. I like 25-30% flaked maize, as that seems to be common in available commercially-brewed Cream Ales, such as Genessee. Some brewers use 10-20% adjunct in the grist and 10-20% sugar in kettle. I opt to not use sugars and use adjunct grain instead. Target an OG of ~1048-50 or 12-13 degrees Plato.

Hops should be restrained, no more than 18-20 IBU. Variety is unimportant. A hint - just a hint - of hops flavor/aroma is often nice, but don't overdo it.

Ferment with a clean ale yeast like S-05. Nottingham is a good second choice. Whatever strain you choose, ferment on the cool end of the spectrum to suppress ester formation.

Quote:
- is the aim to go for a very dry finish, or is a little bit of sweetness preferred just to hold on behind the low hopping rates?
Don't attenuate too dry. It should finish clean, but there ought to be a low level of grainy sweetness.

Quote:
- am I wasting my time and I'd be better off just doing a straight, unfussy, all malt pale ale instead of trying to cut the same corners that megabreweries get slated for cutting?
Well, again, these beers are not brewed by cutting corners. They're brewed with more skill than either you or I are ever likely to achieve. They are simple, but such pale beers with low flavors leave very little room to hide flaws.

That's why the answer to your question is an equivocal "Yes." If you want a challenge, give it a try. It's really not that hard to pull off - the most important challenge is keeping the ale yeast going at a relatively low temperature.

It's worth noting that if the best you can do is ferment it at 65F, you'll still end up with an easy-drinking, quaffable pint. It ain't Adnams Fisherman, but nothing is!

The recipe for my 1950s American Premium Lager is here. Just sub S-05 for the yeast listed and ferment it on the lower edge of the range specific to that yeast, and you'll be golden (if you'll pardon the pun).

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cheers Bob. Very useful info, which I'm absorbing as I plan the brew.

Way over the word limit though

Quick Reply