The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A "crappy" situation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Bombeque
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default A "crappy" situation

So, there I was, Friday night, milling away all my grains for a ten gallon batch of a Leffe blonde clone. So excited because it was my first ten gallon batch and I was going to test the actual capacity of my ten gallon mash tun. So after milling the grains, it became evident that all 23lbs of grain for this monster batch wasnt going to fit in my 5 gallon bucket for storing overnight. So I had to use a pot to put the rest of the grains in. It was a bit too hot to let the grains stay in garage overnight I thought, so last minute decision I proceeded to bring the grains inside and set the covered bucket and uncovered pot on the floor.
Next morning, jumping out of bed in excitement, I started getting the strike water drawn and heated. Everything was going so smooth, as soon as I added the grains, I hit my temp dead on. No need for stirring to get the temp down, or adding hot water ect. Threw the lid on and let her sit for an hour. Came back to my temp spiking on my digital thermometer (cheap), so just to be safe I decided to pop open the lid and throw in ole trusty (analog thermometer) to calm my fears. Whew, everything was good....cept there was what looked like a doughball floating at the top of the grain bed...had I not mixed the grains well enough?? I poked it with my finger to try and distribute it.....strange I thought, since when are dough balls mustard yellow?? Out of instinct I suppose, I smelled my finger, strange I thought, since when did dough balls smell like ****???? AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!, there is **** in my mash!!!! At first I though, that damn homebrew supply, an animal got in there, **** in my grains and he sold it to me! Then I thought, I milled these grains last night myself, so it had to have happened last night. Then the truth hit me like a ton of bricks....I left the uncovered grain just 15 feet from my cat's litter box. Upon further inspection, there were grains kicked all over the floor. I have no idea how I didnt smell it during dough in, but Im glad I caught it when I did. Interesting concept though....cat**** beer, could be the next big thing, hell Dogfish used chewed up corn in one of their beers!lol

Lesson learned!

Que

Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That's nasty! How's it taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Holy crap!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

LOL - Well, at least kitty didn't poop in there before you ran it through your mill...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Use citra or simcoe to complete the aroma

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It will probably add bitterness, but I'm guessing NOT a good hops substitute.

Cat scat fever!

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

RDWHAHB. Just fish it out, it'll be fine.

hehehehehehe

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
stjackson
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

John Palmer should add this to the 4th edition of "How to Brew" under the "Why Boiling is Important" section.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hahah, thanks guys. Sadly I had to dump the whole thing.. I just couldnt live with myself, drinking or giving the beer out. Surprisingly enough I like my in-laws, so that option is out!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing the story, I added your story to my list "reasons why I don't want a cat".

Quick Reply