Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Craft beer in Florida?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Craft beer in Florida?

My GFs brother is getting married in Orlando next weekend. We decided to make a vacation out of it and fly down today and stay at Disney for the week (he works for Disney so we go a lot). I will also be visited my parents, who just moved down to Ft Myers area.

What are some good craft beers that I should try? I like trying different beers whenever I travel. I know Cigar City which I will try. I think Sea Dog is brewed down there but I can get that up here in RI.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA is a must to have on tap. But as weird as it sounds, Disney has a brewpub that the beer isn't too bad (or at least it wasn't last time I was down there). It's at the Boardwalk resort and it's called Big River Grille & Brewing. If your staying in the park at another resort it's easy to use the disney transportation system to get you there easily. Food was OK.... and of course it's always best to make a reservation at a Disney restaurant. Something to think about....

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...brewing-works/

Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you are there next weekend, it's the last weekend of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, where they have some passable brews.

Big River Grille Brewpub is within walking distance of the back exit of Epcot (between France and the UK).

The main attraction, as far as Florida beers, go, has got to be Cigar City. If you have a spare day, take the drive to Tampa on I4 and visit the taproom. If not, you should find Jai Alai, Maduru, Hotter than Helles, and Florida cracker in cans at pretty much any decent bottle shop (there is an ABC not far from Downtown Disney). Check for any 750s; those are some really good beers - I think Bolita is one that should be relatively easy to find this month. But like I said, try to visit the brewery if you can and get a couple of flights - it's the best craft beer in the southeast!

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Florida = Budweiser.... Remember, Florida's population is about 70% redneck, 10% hispanic, 18% retirees, and 2% other. Rednecks rule in Florida, and they drink Budweiser products.

Guess I need to mention that I've lived in Florida for about 20 years now. My job is too good to allow me to leave, so I'm stuck in this state for the time being.

Good beer is really hard to find. I was excited when Yuengling showed up, and Sam Adams is always good. There are really few stores that cater to craft beer fans. Most stores are supplied by the local Bud distributors, so...

I've lived in the Gainesville area, and now in the panhandle. It's been this way since I moved here some 20 years ago. I also have a place in North GA.... Blairsville. A very VERY small town up in the mountains. The beer selection at the grocery stores blow away most specialty stores in the Pensacola area.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Tinhorn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 18

+ 10 for cigar city!

You could be walking around lucky and not even know it

Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
Florida = Budweiser....
You must be in the Panhandle or South Florida...
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks everyone. I definitely want to try Cigar City. Not sure we are gonna make it to Tampa but I think when I visit my parents we are going to a new Ford themed pub with a lot of good beers on tap. In RI we don't get much craft beers that are brewed in the area so anything down here will be different to me and worth the try.

We actually did go to that brew pub in Disney last year. Food was ehh and the beer was OK. Nothing great.

We are definitely doing the Food and Wine festival. Did it last year too. I liked it a lot. Not so much craft beets but beer/wine from other countries. Germany was really good.

TBaGZ Likes This 
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pensacola Bay Brewery. Good people. Good beer.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Cottonmouth
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
My GFs brother is getting married in Orlando next weekend. We decided to make a vacation out of it and fly down today and stay at Disney for the week (he works for Disney so we go a lot). I will also be visited my parents, who just moved down to Ft Myers area.

What are some good craft beers that I should try? I like trying different beers whenever I travel. I know Cigar City which I will try. I think Sea Dog is brewed down there but I can get that up here in RI.
There's Orlando Brewing. Their brews are organic but taste kind of bland to me. There's just not much happening in Orlando except for the amusement parks, but I guess I'm kinda spoiled being from Denver.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

How about any craft beers to buy at the store? What's a few good beers you guys typically buy? I went to Publix and got Fat Tire which I really like but can't get in RI.

Quick Reply