Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Craft beer in a can??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
nasmeyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Craft beer in a can??

I found this link in the news about Micro-Breweries using cans instead of bottles. http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/201...D9L2QFUO0.html Correct me if I am wrong, but many of us decant the beer off of the yeast layer when pouring from a bottle. Bottling craft beer in cans, and dumping the cans in a cooler would mix the yeast back into suspension, and also give the beer an aluminum flavor. I guess I would have to give one a try, but it sounds like someone just wants to market more beer at average quality, instead of less beer at higher quality.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No aluminum flavor is going on in these beers. Beer in cans are great and they have no yeast sediment because they are not conditioned in the can. Try Dale's Pale sometime. Also 21st Amendment. Tasty crack cans...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Package conditioning takes very few yeast. Yeast health is more important the the number of them. Pros may well filter (many do) and add new yeast at packaging. The amount needed for carbonation is not noticeable in the finished beer. It only takes about a half gram of dry yeast to properly condition five gallons, and in less than a week a slightly elevated temperatures.

I've had Fat Tire in a can--same as the bottle. Moose Drool too. A more local brewery in SLC uses cans but I don't like their beer anyway.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmeyer View Post
I found this link in the news about Micro-Breweries using cans instead of bottles. http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/201...D9L2QFUO0.html Correct me if I am wrong, but many of us decant the beer off of the yeast layer when pouring from a bottle. Bottling craft beer in cans, and dumping the cans in a cooler would mix the yeast back into suspension, and also give the beer an aluminum flavor. I guess I would have to give one a try, but it sounds like someone just wants to market more beer at average quality, instead of less beer at higher quality.
The Oskar Blues brewery mentioned in the article makes some darned good craft beers in cans; Ten Fidy is a world-class Russian Imperial Stout, Gordon is a find IIPA, and Chub is a very nice Scotch Ale. All 3 of them rate very highly at places like beeradvocate and ratebeer, and they're all pretty tasty to me.

Aluminum cans are lined, so the taste issue isn't a real concern (unless you drink straight from the can). You can easily pour them into glasses as you normally would, but they're lighter and less breakable than glass bottles (which makes them good alternatives for camping trips or taking to venues where glass isn't allowed). They're light-proof, so skunking's not an issue.

Personally, I like having alternatives.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
JBmadtown
Recipes 

surly brewing out of Minnesota is fantastic.

"Beer for a glass. From a can"

http://www.surlybrewing.com/

Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had a great Orange Blossom Wheat from Buckbean brewery and they only use cans. I first had it at a tasting thing and the brewery rep was telling me how cans were superior to bottles for most beer. I guess I could see his point - no light, no head space etc... but I still think that many Belgians and other high gravity beers that could stand a little aging are better in bottles.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Personally, I love beer in cans. There is only one local micro here doing it, but I certainly appreciate it. There's something so liberating about drinking beer straight from the can, and I don't notice a metallic taste.

I think that more breweries should package beer this way, because it's way more convenient if you want to go to the beach or anything like that. It's also better for the beer than bottles.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Maui Brewing co also has some really great canned beers as well

big fan of the coconut porter

Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/canifesto.html

Fine by me although I find myself not drinking it since the #1 reason I buy commercial beer is to reuse the bottles. Great beer and if it helps get it to customers cheaper, more power to them!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

cans keep out more light and oxygen than bottles. technically they are a superior package to bottles...

Quick Reply