Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Couple Issues: AG #2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #21
Fletch78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Brew #1- WL East Coast, no starter
Brew #2- US-05, pitched directly

Both fermented predictably and quickly, although #1 had a healthy addition of honey after a couple days that strung it out another week.

The "Sherry-Like" thing is pretty spot on, but everything I read says that's a long term problem, so I'm chalking that up to using honey in the batch. I can't make a sherry comment on #2, again, it's only just been bottled this week, I haven't made a flavor judgement yet.

The more I read, the more I'm leaning back toward tannin extraction due to high PH as well as some chlorophenol action reacting in my sinuses with some pretty strong aroma hops. The haziness also points to "protein-tannin complexes" extracted since I used Irish moss to prevent protein haze.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #22
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Wouldn't be the yeast then. Did you check your mash PH? Maybe try some 5.2 in the mash?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #23
Fletch78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Wouldn't be the yeast then. Did you check your mash PH? Maybe try some 5.2 in the mash?

That's exactly what I was thinking after doing more reading tonight. My only hold-up is that I've talked to LHBC and LHBS and they all use the same water as me and rarely treat it, and I've tasted their beers and they are very good. Otherwise, I would have used gypsum in Batch #2, LHBS talked me out of it. Once it carbs, I'm going to make him drink one. Maybe then he'll sell me some damn gypsum.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking after doing more reading tonight. My only hold-up is that I've talked to LHBC and LHBS and they all use the same water as me and rarely treat it, and I've tasted their beers and they are very good. Otherwise, I would have used gypsum in Batch #2, LHBS talked me out of it. Once it carbs, I'm going to make him drink one. Maybe then he'll sell me some damn gypsum.
Or maybe he will have a proper diagnosis? Because we are all just really grasping at straws here. Cat Piss to you may be like Rose Petals to someone else. Do you have a decent Homebrew Club close? Maybe a local Brewpub with a brewer that's willing to taste your brew? Having someone with an experienced palette taste your beer is the best way to make it better!

Could be the mash but I'd test the PH the next time you brew first.

And the bleach as a sanitizer, you used that for your previous batches without issues correct?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
Fletch78
Recipes 

Update:

I used some of the trub from batch #2 to ferment 1 gallon cider. No issues or off-aromas, bottled today. So, if it was an infection, I would expect the same issue to exist in the cider too.... no?

Quick Reply