Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Costco...craft beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Costco...craft beer?

We have a Costco opening up in my city soon. Unfortunately they will not let you walk around the store before deciding to buy a membership. So I am not sure what to expect. We have a Sam's club but most of the prices do not seem like a deal (same stuff you get at wal-mart anyways).
I was curious on the craft beer selection. I am expecting pallets full of the big 3 brewers but it would be nice to see some smaller producers. Do they support regional brewers or go more for the national ones?

Yellow Room brewery ~ why? Because the walls are yellow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have seen "craft beer" in my Costco but never a huge selection. Some examples are Sierra Nevada (Pale Ale and Celebration Ale) and Real Ale (Fireman's 4) which would probably be a regional here in Texas. I haven't seen anything from any of the smaller breweries in the area that distribute.

There have been a few others from time to time as I recall but it's never consistent and again, the selection is small. I do always have to look though cause you just never know what might be sitting on a pallet there. (Unless your a BMC consumer.. )

Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Just checked out the craft beer at Costco the other day. Pretty good! I picked up a bomber of Boulevard's Tank 7...which was fantastic.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Most of the offerings they will have are more national, but somewhat obscure. The one near me always has Stella Artois, Sam Adams, Heineken, etc. Not Craft Brews by any stretch, but certainly more premium than Bud.

Usually around the holidays they'll start getting in some interesting beers. They've had a Chimay sampler in the past. They had the Sam Adams Brewmasters Series. They've also had others in as well. Oh, and Duvel as well.

You won't find something from right around the corner unless they happen to have national distribution.

The prices aren't awesome either, but you might typically save a buck or two and find something interesting.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

I would be a bit wary of buying craft beer at a bulk discount store like Costco. Check those dates.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
jrgtr42
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Can't say about other places, but in Massachusetts, the liquor sales is separate from the rest of the store. I'm pretty sure you can buy the alcohol without having a membership in Costcos.
I haven't been there myself, because of other Mass laws regarding the number of liquor licenses a store or chain can have, but people I know have been. There is a little craft beer, but not much, and you do have to keep your eyes on dates.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I would definitely not get a membership for the beer, and Costcos are a little different everywhere.

Mine has BMC of course, and Sam Adams/Stella/Heieneken as stated above. They have recently started carrying Stone too.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

You know what, funny you mention it but I've been seeing a pretty darn good bomber selection lately at Costco. I snapped a pic of one of the shelves:

They have a ton of belgian type selections, La Fin Du Monde etc. with a yummy White Oak from The Bruery. Also Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale...

They also had an Alesmith Red Ale that was superb.

I bought a few (mostly those noted above) and a bayhawk pale ale which was absolutely disgusting and I dumped it (it actually foamed out of the bottle which made me wonder if it was infected). Pale ale but had a belgian taste to it. Something was definitely wrong with it... Date on it was bottled only two weeks ago... otherwise dates on all of the above were fine.

I didn't have a cart so I lugged out 6 bottles by carrying them through the checkouts. Looked like an alcoholic.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
HotRodJosh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Wow! Mine only has Sierra Nevada and Two Bros variety cases.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
ICWiener
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Man, I must be spoiled. Our Costco has Stone, Mendocino, Sierra Nevada, Ninkasi, Lagunitas, Ommegang, Tripel Karmeliet, Firestone, Karl Strauss, Chimay, Duvel, Crispin, etc. in stock all the time.

I will agree with the poster above, you gotta check the dates.

Quick Reply