The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cost Per Serving: Does Homebrew Really Save Money?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
RogerMcAllen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Cost Per Serving: Does Homebrew Really Save Money?

Assuming a good craft beer costs $2, the numbers look pretty good as long as you keep going. I started homebrewing September 08, and after my last order total costs are up to ~$1,500.

$1,500/10 months/ 30 days = $5 a day (or 1 beer at the bar/~2 craft brews at home)

15 x 5 gallon batches = 75 gallons
75 gallons = 800x 12 oz servings

$1,500/800 = $1.88/serving, which is right on par with the lower end of good commercial brew. Had I not built a 4 tap keggerator that number would be down closer to $1/serving.

Now I just have to formalize this in a presentation to SWIMBO so that she can fully appreciate how buying new stuff saves money.

Here is a visual aid I made:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There are about a bazillion threads about the economics of homebrewing. The simple answer is yes, if you figure ingredient costs only or brew often, you will save money. For those who brew rarely like myself, but buy tons of equipment, it will take me several batches to break even. It's a hobby, pure and simple. If you really need to please the SWMBO explain that homebrewing is a hobby that will keep you at home, and also dig up some info on other hobbies that cost more than brewing.

If you want to see some of the other threads take a look at the related threads at the bottom of the page.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 159 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Tell her you want to take up technical scuba diving, diving to 300-400 feet under the ocean on gas mixes you can't breath on the surface. Or that you want to take up ice climbing, finding frozen waterfalls and climbing up them with ropes and ice axes. Both take way more gear than brewing, are spectacularly expensive ways to kill yourself and you'll still end up buying beer at the end of the day to celebrate the fact you didn't die doing your 'hobby.'

She'll come around.

PTN

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Tell her there are worse ways to spend your time than making the greatest things on earth.

SWIMBO = someone who is mining butt ore

What's tappening? :D

Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 159 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post

SWIMBO = someone who is mining butt ore
I think you mean, She Went'n Made Bubba Ordinary.

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
Tell her you want to take up technical scuba diving, diving to 300-400 feet under the ocean on gas mixes you can't breath on the surface. Or that you want to take up ice climbing, finding frozen waterfalls and climbing up them with ropes and ice axes. Both take way more gear than brewing, are spectacularly expensive ways to kill yourself and you'll still end up buying beer at the end of the day to celebrate the fact you didn't die doing your 'hobby.'

She'll come around.

PTN
You missed one - Private Pilot !

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Craigtube saves a lot of cash homebrewing

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jaguar E-Type restoration. The gear shift knob cost more than my beginner brewing setup. I spent more on replacing a faulty thermostat in that SOB than I have spent on my entire brewing hobby combined, including ingredients.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
You missed one - Private Pilot !
Or Bass fishing. Know how much fish you have to catch to pay off a bass boat?

Homebrewing is at best a cost saving hobby and at worst a marginally worse than break even hobby (if you drink expensive beer). I have less invested in this hobby than a golf membership would cost for a year (a month at some places) and a brewing a batch costs about what a round of golf costs. I'd still be paying for beer during the round of golf, too

I'd much rather brew beer.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMcAllen View Post
Assuming a good craft beer costs $2, the numbers look pretty good as long as you keep going. I started homebrewing September 08, and after my last order total costs are up to ~$1,500.

$1,500/10 months/ 30 days = $5 a day (or 1 beer at the bar/~2 craft brews at home)

15 x 5 gallon batches = 75 gallons
75 gallons = 800x 12 oz servings

$1,500/800 = $1.88/serving, which is right on par with the lower end of good commercial brew. Had I not built a 4 tap keggerator that number would be down closer to $1/serving.

Now I just have to formalize this in a presentation to SWIMBO so that she can fully appreciate how buying new stuff saves money.

Here is a visual aid I made:
So that $1500 is for your equipment and ingredients totals to date? What about propane/nat gas?
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply