Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cost of "good" beer, versus "swill".

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
TwoWheeler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cost of "good" beer, versus "swill".

Just made a Quad and used 14lbs of grain to make five gallons.

Given all the corn, rice and filler they use, (and SUBSTANTIALLY lower ABV....) how many gallons of sludgeweiser could I have made from that same 14 lbs of grain?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Don't forget hops....you probably used the same amount of hops in your 5 gallon batch as bmc uses in on of their huge multibarrel batches . Jk.....well kinda

Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. Quad isn't my favorite type of beer either but I'd hardly call it "swill."

Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeler View Post

Given all the corn, rice and filler they use, (and SUBSTANTIALLY lower ABV....) how many gallons of sludgeweiser could I have made from that same 14 lbs of grain?

Depends if you factor in the equipment costs. If you dont, then the average batch of beer from an extract kit would cost anywhere from $0.60 to $1.00. But that also depends on the kit and where you bought it. The average cost of a 12 pack of Bud long necks is probably like $10.00. Dont really know that since I havent bought it in years. Either way, homebrew is WAY better.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeler View Post

Quite a bit, between 2 and 3 times as much, but Budweiser is likely cheaper to buy than to brew, once you figure in your energy expense (including lagering), and it's hard as hell to make well, to boot.
Of course, you didn't become a brewer in order to save money on Budweiser. Look up the cost of 2 cases of a Belgian quad, and then you'll see where your "savings," if we ignore equipment costs, come in. Flavor ain't cheap.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2847 Times on 2787 Posts
Likes Given: 133

14 lbs of two row would give you 7.5 gallons of a 4.95% beer which is about what bud is (bud is 5%).. I believe the question was how much bud could you make from the same grain bill, not for the cost correct? Flaked rice and Flaked corn both have about the same potential as 2 Row according to Beersmith. Corn has 1.037, rice 1.032 and 2 row is 1.036

And, you got a 5G quad out of only 14lbs of grain? What was your post boil SG?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. Quad isn't my favorite type of beer either but I'd hardly call it "swill."

Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Don't forget that corn and rice are more expensive than barley.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Don't forget that corn and rice are more expensive than barley.
Yes, it wasn't done to save money then, nor now. In fact when Bud came out it was the most expensive beer on the market in the US.

Maureen Ogle , in her book Ambitious Brew, cleared up a lot of those "beer myths" that we beer snobs used to harbor to "keep us warm" and to somehow make us think that we're better than those who drink Bud products.....

America like most of the world had quite an extensive array of beers available prior to the German Invasion of brewer's which later introduced the light lager. They pretty much had the "brewing culture" of all the countries that people immigrated from...Most English beer styles..you know Porters, Stouts, Partigyles, stuff like that. As well as mostly heavy German Styles of beer. Not to mention people from Scotland, Ireland, Russia and other places where beer was drank.

Remember up until then, beer was food.

In fact thew whole history of the light lager is the American populace's (not the brewer's) desire to have a lighter beer to drink, which forced the German brewers to look at adding adjuncts like corn and rice...not as the popular homebrewer's myth has been to make money by peddling and "inferior commercial product" by adding adjuncts, but in order to come up with a style of beer that the American people wanted.

Maureen Ogle proved that in Ambitious Brew it actually made the cost of a bottle of Budweiser cost around 17.00/bottle in today's dollars. Gee I've paid 17 dollars for a bomber of beer before...not too much difference there, eh?

When AH released Budweiser with it's corn and rice adjuncts in the 1860's it was the most expensive beer out there; a single bottle retailed for $1.00 (what would equal in today's Dollars for $17.00) this was quite difference when a schooner of beer usually cost a nickel.

The American populace ate it up!

It wasn't done to save money, it was done because heavy beers (both english style Ales and the heavier Bavarian malty beers) were not being drunk by American consumers any more. Beer initally was seen around the world as food (some even called it liquid bread), but since America, even in the 1800's was a prosperous nation compared to the rest of the world, and americans ate meat with nearly every meal, heavy beers had fallen out of favor...

And American 6-row Barley just made for heavy, hazy beer

Bush and other German Brewers started looking at other styles of Beers, and came upon Karl Balling and Anton Schwartz's work at the Prague Polytechnic Institute with the Brewers in Bohemia who when faced with a grain shortage started using adjuncts, which produced the pils which was light, sparkly and fruity tasting...just the thing for American tastebuds.

So the brewers brought Schwartz to America where he went to work for American Brewer Magazine writing articles and technical monographs, teaching American brewers how to use Rice and Corn...

The sad moral of the story is....The big corporate brewers did not foist tasteless adjunct laced fizzy water on us, like the popular mythology all of us beersnobs like to take to bed with us to feel all warm and elitist....it was done because our American ancestors wanted it.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

Quote:
November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br12-07-06.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
[Rev drops some science]
Respect!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quick Reply