New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cost difference betwen AG and extract brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Richard-SSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Cost difference betwen AG and extract brewing?

I was playing around with recipes on Brewmaster's Brew Builder and if I'm not mistaken it appears that AG brewing is a little cheaper than brewing with extract. Is this correct for the most part?

If so, I would imagine that the cost of setting up for AG brewing may be offset by the lower cost of ingredients over time. Hmmmmn.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV View Post
I was playing around with recipes on Brewmaster's Brew Builder and if I'm not mistaken it appears that AG brewing is a little cheaper than brewing with extract. Is this correct for the most part?

If so, I would imagine that the cost of setting up for AG brewing may be offset by the lower cost of ingredients over time. Hmmmmn.......
Its not a little cheaper, its a lot cheaper, as long as you're buying in bulk.

I made 5G of a mild the other day, and I think the ingredient cost was about $7. When I was buying extract kits, they were $30+

Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

Do a search and/or check out the similar threads at the bottom of this page. It seams that this has been discussed with some intensity is the recent past.

Straight fact is that the grain for all grain is cheaper then the malt extract equivalents. But all the other raw materials required to make beer are the same price.

There is more equipment required to brew all grain but the cost of that equipment can vary significantly.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Depending on what type of equipment you get for All Grain, you can offset prices very quickly. You don't need the fancy single tier systems with pumps and whatnot to do an all grain batch.

With the brew in a bag all grain setups, all you need are a burner, an 5G paint strainer bag and a large enough pot to boil the wort.

Add bulk purchases of grain and hops to that and my average 1.045OG batch comes in a little under $14, including yeast.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Its not a little cheaper, its a lot cheaper, as long as you're buying in bulk.

I made 5G of a mild the other day, and I think the ingredient cost was about $7. When I was buying extract kits, they were $30+
I'm gonna call BS on this one. There are plenty of extract kits for under 30.00 just like there are all grain kits that cost more then 30.00.

You could just as easily buy bulk extract and brew the same mild for only slightly more then the all grain.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I agree that all grain is considerable cheaper for the ingredients but it seems like I am spending above and beyond any ingredient savings on equipment daily. I am slowly trying to build a single tier system and it is not cheap.

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

ya, going all grain is expensive because of the equipment. Not to mention the other variables - energy, time, sordid obsession development, etc.

I honestly think the best value might be partial mash (because you dont have to do full boils)...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I'm gonna call BS on this one. There are plenty of extract kits for under 30.00 just like there are all grain kits that cost more then 30.00.

You could just as easily buy bulk extract and brew the same mild for only slightly more then the all grain.
Who said all extract kits were over $30, and all AG kits were less than that? The guy was speaking from his own experience.

Overall, doing similar recipes with each, AG will be significantly cheaper than extract, especially if you're buying hops and grain in bulk, and reusing yeast. I can easily see a low-OG, low-IBU brew costing around $7.00.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post

I haven't seen too many extract kits for under $30 including shipping AND yeast(unless you use a dry yeast pack).
I keep seeing these deals and thinking I should go for that. Then I see that you have to add the yeast and it ups the price by 8-9 bucks. Plus shipping...

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJR View Post
Who said all extract kits were over $30, and all AG kits were less than that? The guy was speaking from his own experience.

Overall, doing similar recipes with each, AG will be significantly cheaper than extract, especially if you're buying hops and grain in bulk, and reusing yeast. I can easily see a low-OG, low-IBU brew costing around $7.00.
And I could see the same beer made with bulk extract costing 10.00. So were talking about a theoretical 3.00 difference. That's not a big difference in my book.

Further more, if you went to brew a very hoppy beer, the fairly meager price difference shrinks.

Quick Reply