Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Corrupting our daughter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
BasementGrowler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Corrupting our daughter

SWMBO just yelled at me for corrupting our 22 month old daughter. I was sanitizing my keg so I could keg my cream ale. I put sanitizer in the keg and pressurized it and my daughter wanted to hold the picnic tap open so the sanitizer could run through the down tube. SWMBO walked in and yelled at me for corrupting her. I told her I was teaching our daughter proper sanitation. She just gave me a funny look. After Filling and pressurizing the keg I let the daughter roll the keg around the floor. Yet another look from SWMBO. The kid had a blast.

The question is corruption or education? Is she too young to help out making an alcoholic beverage or is there no such thing as too young?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Better than you sitting at the local bar while she sits in front of a TV!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No big. My three year old boy helps me bottle.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6126 Times on 5338 Posts
Likes Given: 737

I don't have kids; but I think parents that engage with their kids for just about any activity are doing a good thing.

And I think that by involving them in a hobby like homebrewing will likely (hopefully?) relate to engrainment about moderation of alcohol in-take....

Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
thisgoestoeleven
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was raised in a house where alcohol wasn't forbidden. I wasn't allowed to get get drunk or go to keggers, but I was always allowed a glass of wine or beer at family parties, a glass of champagne on new years, etc. I was raised to treat alcohol as something totally fine when consumed responsibly and not to excess. As a result, when I got to college, I wasn't interested in going out and getting hammered. On the other hand, my roommate was brought up in a dry household, where alcohol was not only not allowed, but it was seen as evil. When he got to college, the first thing he wanted to do was go out and get sh*tfaced. When you remove the taboo from alcohol in childhood, it tends to foster more responsible use later in life.

just my $.02

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What thisgoestoeleven said is our philosophy as far as alcohol goes. SWMBO and I drink around out 8 yo daughter but never get wasted. She has witnessed responsible alcohol use from us her entire life.

She has helped me brew since she was 4 or so. She enjoys learning the science behind it (she thought I was the coolest when I built my stir plate and my Erlenmeyer flasks came!) But most of all, she is spending some one on one time with Dad and that is what it is all about, not the alcohol.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestoeleven View Post
I was raised in a house where alcohol wasn't forbidden. I wasn't allowed to get get drunk or go to keggers, but I was always allowed a glass of wine or beer at family parties, a glass of champagne on new years, etc. I was raised to treat alcohol as something totally fine when consumed responsibly and not to excess. As a result, when I got to college, I wasn't interested in going out and getting hammered. On the other hand, my roommate was brought up in a dry household, where alcohol was not only not allowed, but it was seen as evil. When he got to college, the first thing he wanted to do was go out and get sh*tfaced. When you remove the taboo from alcohol in childhood, it tends to foster more responsible use later in life.

just my $.02

My parents did the same with us, starting at 9th grade If I wanted a beer at home it was in the fridge, and I could have one. I rarely did, but I would occasionally have one with my older sister. Got to college and drinking wasnt a big deal. I drank probably once a month while at college and very rarely got "hammered". I think it was smart parenting.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Melnyk
Recipes 

Well when I was a youngin my old man took me to the barroom almost every day he would sit at the bar while I played the illegal gambling machine in the corner and I turned out ok. We were bonding haha

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
No big. My three year old boy helps me bottle.
haha!
i have 2 daughters, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. i was bottling this afternoon when the 2 year old wanted to help. i let her help by letting her set the cap on the bottle just right before i used the capper on the bottle. my wife thought it was funny!

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together."---Red Green

"My eyebrows ain't plucked, there's a gun in my truck. Oh thank God I'm still a guy."---Brad Paisley

Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My 21 month old daughter loves to help with everything. Of course we let her help. Some day I might have to force her.

"You aren't going anywhere till that milk stout is bottled and all the carboys are cleaned and sanitized!"

Quick Reply