Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglerx16

Reaction score
My dad has a kegerator and I'm looking to get a 5 gal keg for my homebrew. Been looking on eBay. Any other suggestions or cheaper sites to choose.?
Thanks

corney kegs are getting hard to find, as chinese soda makers are buying them up by the 1000's now. they restarted using them recently, so hard to find and expensive now

Craigslist for locals getting out of the hobby. Expand the search as needed. Drawback is it can take a spell... or not. I've had some nice scores from people moving, getting out of the hobby, or unfortunately, passing away.... I did find an older one the other day at a garage sale for $2.00. Dumped out the very old 7-UP, stuck on new o-rings and it is good to go. Lucky find...

Yeah they are getting hard to find. I was lucky, found a local place selling them for $30 a pop, I bought 45 of them, not all for me of course

I have 3 used ones, I'm starting to buy new now. It's a lifetime investment, I want good sh*t.
The price keeps creeping up on the used ones. The 3 I have I bought for $30 each from Midwest Supplies 3 years ago, now they're $60. The way I see it is I might as well buy new.

I'm starting to see more and more reusable sanke kegs around. They are brand new and have a threaded top so you can remove for cleaning. 5 gal ones around here are $70 and 15 gal for $100.

If you haven't already bought quick disconnects, you might consider getting pin lock corneys instead of ball lock. Pin locks are slightly shorter/wider than ball locks but will hold your beer just fine and are generally $10-20 cheaper per keg than ball locks. I bought some pin locks from Midwest Brewing recently that came to ~ $50 each after shipping (all the pin locks I've ordered from Midwest came with pressure relief valves on the lids).

Of course if your dad's kegerator only has a sanke (commercial keg) hookup and you're only buying one keg, it might make sense to just buy a reusable 1/6 barrel sanke keg as mentioned above since you then wouldn't have to buy quick disconnects (you'd need 1 for beer and 1 for gas so that's $12 there) and wouldn't have to worry about switching hookups when you change b/w a commercial and home brewed beer. If you're planning to buy many more kegs in the future though the price math might work out differently.

There WAS/is? a place in Groton, Conn. which had a pic of many pallets of kegs. This was ~2 mo ago. on C'list. Don't know if they ship. Good luck.

You can still pick up kegs at a reasonable price here http://www.homebrewing.org/Home-Brew-Kegs_c_223.html They have had the best prices on used kegs out of any of the online retailers for years.

+1 on that deal. I recently split an order of four with a brew buddy. Even after shipping to Texas, they came out to $51.50 each.

We got a nice surprise when they arrived......all four had brand spanking new lids and pressure relief valves. Nice.:rockin:

We don't need no stinking corny kegs!

ForumRunner_20130412_185202.jpg

gcdowd said:
We don't need no stinking corny kegs!

Whoa dude you may have a problem. Namely, I bet most of those are empty!

If not you may have real problems...

Toga said:
You can still pick up kegs at a reasonable price here http://www.homebrewing.org/Home-Brew-Kegs_c_223.html They have had the best prices on used kegs out of any of the online retailers for years.

Amen. Just ordered 4 an hour ago. Shipping sucks to CA, but I bought the ones w/o relief valve and with all new o-rings they'll be <$50 each, shipped.

Same for me, mine arrived with a new lid. going to be ordering more from them.

+1 on that deal. I recently split an order of four with a brew buddy. Even after shipping to Texas, they came out to $51.50 each.

We got a nice surprise when they arrived......all four had brand spanking new lids and pressure relief valves. Nice.:rockin:

JUST_BREW_IT said:
where are you located?

Chicago area.
Thanks for all the input. I was looking on Midwest possibly gonna get a used and an adapter to swap out kegs

Back