Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Copyrighting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
StoutattheDevil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Copyrighting

Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone has ever looked into copy writing any of their beer names, Recopies labels or Brewery names? I may be coming onto some very good very large equipment that I might start using in my local area to start making the switch over to larger commercial brewing. I was goign to try going through the library of congress but I didn't know if anyone here had ever tried anything or had any info!

Cheers all!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You'll want to look into registering trademarks rather than copyrights.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yes, you want to look into trademarks or service marks. Check out the USPTO for more information.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
BADS197
Recipes 

I work at a lawfirm that does copyright and patent law along with a ton of other corperate law.. and TexLaw is right, you want to look at USPTO.

I'm going to have a friend upstairs see if she can tell me how much to register a logo/name just in case I ever get famous for my brew.

doubtfull but hell, who knows.. i might be able to suit someone for infringeing on my logo.

jake

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS197 View Post
I work at a lawfirm that does copyright and patent law along with a ton of other corperate law.. and TexLaw is right, you want to look at USPTO.

I'm going to have a friend upstairs see if she can tell me how much to register a logo/name just in case I ever get famous for my brew.

doubtfull but hell, who knows.. i might be able to suit someone for infringeing on my logo.

jake
You know what Bass should totally sue this bar down the street from me for trademark infringement. They have a big red triangle outside and they don't even serve Bass. Apparently the neon triangle is how they identify the bar, the building has no name or anything. As I was walking by I figured "Wow I had no idea this place was here, they look like a bar, and they serve Bass, probably a nice irish place I should stop in..."

So I walked in and they don't even serve Bass, it was a total BMC place with lots of mixed drinks. Additionally the place was just full of the butchest looking women I have ever seen and they all glared at me for some reason, like I wasn't supposed to be in there... I don't think it will be staying in buisness long anyway with ugly unfriendly women like that frequenting the place they will have no luck attracting a decent mixed drink clientel.

Anyway, long story short, that place is totally infringing on Bass's trademark, and they should do something about it, or at least get this place to serve Bass.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 08-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

I believe that Bass is actually the FIRST EVER trademark... I think I read that on their website or wiki or something.

Are you sure it isn't an upside down triangle?? With all the butch women, I'm just guessing...

Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I believe that Bass is actually the FIRST EVER trademark... I think I read that on their website or wiki or something.

Are you sure it isn't an upside down triangle?? With all the butch women, I'm just guessing...
I was thinking the same thing...

Quick Reply