Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Coors' famous claim

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Hercules Rockefeller
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Coors' famous claim

The thread about Budweiser's claim to be the most expensive brand around got me thinking: How can Coor's claim to be brewed with 100% Rocky mountain spring water now that it's brewed in both Virginia as well as Colorado. Obviously they're not trucking the water across the nation, as it would be far more efficient to just brew it and then truck the brewed beer. Maybe they chemically re-create rocky mountain water by matching the PH, hardness, mineral balance, etc. But is that really "rocky mountain spring water? Anyway it's been bugging me for a while now...

"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They don't brew it here, AFAIK. They do the mash and boil in Colorado, using that water. Then what I think they do is ferment it and take a lot of the water out to form a concentrate, then ship it in that form. Obviously, this cuts down on shipping costs. Then, once it arrives at one of the plants here, they reconstitute it using Blue Ridge Mountain Water, then carbonate and bottle/can it.

I might be a little off-base with some of the details (perhaps they ship unfermented wort concentrate here and then ferment it here?), but the overall concept means that their claim of "brewing" with Rocky Mountain Water remains valid because the boil is done with only Rocky Mountain Water. It's a technical loophole, but there you go.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Nah, they ship out dehydrated Colorado H20, then then they just add water to rehydrate it, just like we rehydrate dry yeast! ;D

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Just googled your question and found this Denver Post article

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9789807

It talks about the RM spring water issue with this quote as well:

Quote:
"We will use the same recipe that originated in Golden to brew Coors Light at other breweries. We'll use the same frost-brewing process, proprietary yeast and high-country barley. Any water we use at any brewery must meet our high-quality specifications before we would use it to produce any of our brands."
Apparently they will only be brewing the original Coors Banquet brand with the RM spring water.

Good curiosity! Gotta keep 'em honest

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Hm, yeah, looking around some more, it appears that they WILL be expanding the Shenandoah facility for brewing. Hmph. Color me wrong.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Hey, speaking of Coors, I've looked around teh internetz and I still can't find any definitive explanation of this "frost brewing" process that they so gallantly celebrate. How exactly does one frost-brew beer? It sounds a bit like trying to cook a f*cking pot roast by putting it in the freezer.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Roasty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
They don't brew it here, AFAIK. They do the mash and boil in Colorado, using that water. Then what I think they do is ferment it and take a lot of the water out to form a concentrate, then ship it in that form...
Coors is fermented? I could have sworn last time I had one that it was non-alcoholic.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Actually, none of Coors' brewing water is surface water. That 'Rocky mountain spring water' is pumped from wells sunk into an aquifer deep underneath the Coors plant.

A number of years ago (like 12 -- wow, showing my age), Golden had a water problem that rendered the city water unusable for a few days while the city made repairs. Coors pumped their water into tankers and set up distribution around Golden. I had a party ball full of water with a dispenser pump in my kitchen, thanks to Coors.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
They don't brew it here, AFAIK. They do the mash and boil in Colorado, using that water. Then what I think they do is ferment it and take a lot of the water out to form a concentrate, then ship it in that form. Obviously, this cuts down on shipping costs. Then, once it arrives at one of the plants here, they reconstitute it using Blue Ridge Mountain Water, then carbonate and bottle/can it.

I might be a little off-base with some of the details (perhaps they ship unfermented wort concentrate here and then ferment it here?), but the overall concept means that their claim of "brewing" with Rocky Mountain Water remains valid because the boil is done with only Rocky Mountain Water. It's a technical loophole, but there you go.
Ahahhahahah, that's great!!! I've always joked with people about BMC actually being distributed like a package of dry beer flavoring, a little package of 120 proof alcohol, and then you just add water. But I guess it may be more true than i thought!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Believe me when I say the water flowing down clear creek to Golden Colorado is not that great anyway. The creek follows I-70 most of the way which is a major road that is constantly being spray with Mag Chloride to keep the ice down. I'm sure Mag ends up in the river. Also I have kayaked many times just upstream from Coors and have received a fun parasite called Giardia twice. Water at some other breweries may be worse but people should know Coors water isn't so pure. I'm sure they filter it really well but I wouldn't be drinking the water just upstream.

Quick Reply