Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cooling wort , my idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPlum View Post
I hope you didn't use the kind of trash bag that has scent to mask the garbage odor. I've done similar things with good success, though. I used to put sterile water in food safe, heat safe plastic jugs and freeze it. Then before using, I'd sanitize the jugs in iodophor solution and put it in the kettle. Never had any problems and cooled the wort much faster than the ice bath alone. Still, a chiller is the way to go if doing full boils.
I used to just let it sit in the tub with cold water in it until it cooled down in about 45 minutes or so and that always worked just fine until I read that it should be done quicker for some reason . But my beer always tasted great to me .
I built a wort chiller and a mash tun today . Come summer time I think I will use a pump and a cooler of ice water for the chiller instead of tap water .
got the mash tun because I decided to try some AG to see if it tastes better than partial . Sure cost more .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #22
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyIrishBrew
I saw a thread on here not long ago where the guy cooled his wort by dumping ice directly in it. Ice made from boiled or purified water and in sanitized ice trays that were covered in the freezer so no bad stuff could fall/migrate into it. He had it down to a pretty simple procedure.
Haha. I just dump in store bought ice. No problems and no purified water and sanitized ice trays, too lazy

Obviously only works for partial boils though.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyIrishBrew View Post
I saw a thread on here not long ago where the guy cooled his wort by dumping ice directly in it. Ice made from boiled or purified water and in sanitized ice trays that were covered in the freezer so no bad stuff could fall/migrate into it. He had it down to a pretty simple procedure.
Read this too and thought it a good idea IF you have to top off your wort.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I would never use a trash bag, even if it was some crazy lab grade one. However your technique us sound, and adding some kind of cooling factors to the wort it self works very well.

What I would do is go buy 3 or 4 Nalgene bottles and use those. Fill them 3/4 of the way with water, cap them an throw them in the freezer. Then you could just spray them or dunk them in Star San and put them in the hot wort.

Nalgene bottles will not leach chemical even at boiling temps, and they can take boiling water, so the will stand up to boiling, or near boiling wort.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDeck View Post
Plate chiller or immersion chiller, and honestly, you're done. It's just not THAT expensive, and it's so much easier as to be entirely silly.
Not really...when tap water is warm...niether of the above are done...for this reason I still use a big ass tub / swamp cooler and about 10, 2 liter frozen soda bottles.

BTW, I do have a immersion chiller, but to use it and only chill to around 80 in the summer means I still have to introduce ice, so I just do that on a larger scale and do something once rather than twice. I have a full size fridge / freezer so freezer space is a plenty to make quantities of ice.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
Haha. I just dump in store bought ice. No problems and no purified water and sanitized ice trays, too lazy

Obviously only works for partial boils though.
I used the wort cooler and it was okay . Would work well this winter but in summer I see it as a waste of time as ice in tub would do better unless i bought a pump for ice water.
I never sanitze water for any reason as it is obviously a waste of time since when doing partial mash you use tap water to top off . Never heard of anyone boiling that 3 1/2 gallons of water .
personally i think with partial i will resort to dumping ice straight in the wort . One measurement of volume of a bag melted would be sufficient .

Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
Acetone do get cold . Now about that acetone and dry ice ...just what have you been up to lately ? ..don't answer that .
In my other life I'm a computer geek. Acetone and dry ice is a trick that used to be used by overclockers to achieve some really crazy overclocks.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Easiest way I found to cool wort is buy a 5 gallon bucket, fill it water and an ounce of StarSan, then freeze it. On brew day dump the 5 gallon StarSan ice bock into your brew kettle and the wort will cool VERY fast. Be warned though you will need at least a 15 gallon kettle to do this though. Now I just gotta figure out why my beers are so thin, watery, and acidic

LOL, just kidding of course. Immersion chiller is really the way to step up from ice baths. Can't believe anyone actually adds ice directly to their beer as some have commented.

Rev.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default crazy geek that stuff is explosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
In my other life I'm a computer geek. Acetone and dry ice is a trick that used to be used by overclockers to achieve some really crazy overclocks.
Spark + Acetone = no PC

Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #30
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I used the wort cooler and it was okay . Would work well this winter but in summer I see it as a waste of time as ice in tub would do better unless i bought a pump for ice water.
I never sanitze water for any reason as it is obviously a waste of time since when doing partial mash you use tap water to top off . Never heard of anyone boiling that 3 1/2 gallons of water .
personally i think with partial i will resort to dumping ice straight in the wort . One measurement of volume of a bag melted would be sufficient .
8# ice =1 gallon

I start my boil with 4, end up with between 3-3.5, and cool using 16# store bought ice to equal 5-5.5 gallons total.

Quick Reply