Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cool Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Cool Experience

One day last week I had the opportunity to go work in a small brewery close to home. I had given the brewmaster my number the weekend before when I stopped in to visit. I told him that if he ever needed a hand, I'd be happy to volunteer some time just to get the experience and learn a little bit.

Anyway, he called me a few days later and said that he needed help the following day. I went in and spent the whole day helping him out. I did everything from cleaning kegs to filling kegs to helping him make a starter for a batch he was going to brew the next day. I had to laugh because what he calls making a starter is actual brewing for me because I am still an extract guy. The starter we made was 30 gallons which also made me smile because my batch size is 5 sad little gallons.... :-)

It was a really neat day for me, and it opened my eyes up to what happens in a small craft brewery day to day. It's really hard work and tons and tons of cleaning/sanitizing.

Either way, I'd do it again any day. The guy was really cool to hang out with and I learned a bit as I was able to ask a lot of questions which he was happy to answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Daybis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's an awesome experience. Which brewer was this? I would love to have some opportunities like that.

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey Daybis. It's a small place close by called Roy Pitz. It's basically 2 guys in their late 20's trying to make it happen. They are legit though. They've got a nice setup and seem to have good business sense. Both of them went to siebel institute. I think they really have a good shot at making it.

Quick Reply