Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cool Beer History Encountered at Work (GIS): George Washingtons Grist Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Cool Beer History Encountered at Work (GIS): George Washingtons Grist Mill

So my project for the summer is to go through and classify all the buildings in our county for an international collaberative mapping effort. While working on the project a few minutes ago, I came across a set of buildings called "George Washington's Grist Mill". It certainly caught my eye and a quick google showed me it is indeed part of the original Distilling and Brewing site on George Washinton's Mt. Vernon plantation that is still in operation today.

I thought it was pretty cool and a nice note to lighten my friday afternoon at work!

grist-mill.jpg

grist-mill2.jpg

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Way cool!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

They actually had an entire building run by water-wheel just to grind the grains for his ales and whiskeys. It makes me realize how much I take for granted the modern brewing practices! ...Like hooking up my drill to a mill and being done with it in 45 seconds!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

The distillery was restored a few years ago to once again market his Rye Whiskey. It isn't cheap,but supposed to be quite good. He just loved the stuff so much,Martha made him "whiskey cake" with it.
Pretty sure I still have the recipe in one of my Frugal Gourmet books. And others of Martha's recipes,like peanut soup.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Yup, they opperate the distillery as a recreation and sell the rye for (I think) $125 per 1/5th.

And the cake sounds delicious, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the whiskey to make it

Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You actually found a way to make a GIS project entertaining? I belive thats cheating. pretty awesome though.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
brian74
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yet another connection between history and brewing.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

It'd also be cool if they showed how to brew that small beer from the hand-written recipe showed on here recently. It'd give a clearer picture of how it was made.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dover157 View Post
You actually found a way to make a GIS project entertaining? I belive thats cheating. pretty awesome though.
hahaha this made me laugh!

Quick Reply