New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Conical Use Question/Advice: Drop Yeast or No

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
I think he is more worried about pulling the air lock liquid into the wort. Or worst yet takeing the air lock off and sucking un sanitized air in. The filter i linked would work perfect.
Or just seal the airlock and then dump the yeast which should work fine with no chance of air getting in.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
No pressure needed at all, gravity works every time and the weight of the beer on the yeast is going to force the yeast out.

I do this on 3bbl conicals just about every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
I think he is more worried about pulling the air lock liquid into the wort. Or worst yet taking the air lock off and sucking un sanitized air in. The filter i linked would work perfect.
Thanks to both.

Nightshade, do you worry about infection up from the ball valve after dumping? Guess not, huh? And BxB, ^ that, and the possibility of oxygenation were my worries. Heck, I never used a conical of any kind in over 16 years of brewing; old dog trying to learn new tricks....

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Thanks to both.

Nightshade, do you worry about infection up from the ball valve after dumping? Guess not, huh? And BxB, ^ that, and the possibility of oxygenation were my worries. Heck, I never used a conical of any kind in over 16 years of brewing; old dog trying to learn new tricks....
No worry but I also spray it with a sanitizer mix (Purisan and water) from a spray bottle both before and after dumping yeast to make sure no nasties grab hold.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Quick Reply