*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Congrats Deschutes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Deschutes' Red Chair again named 'World's Best Beer'

While I don't know about "world's best beer", it's damned tasty, and I'm looking forward to seeing it back on tap ASAP.
Yes it is and it inspired me to make a "golden red" Northwest Pale Ale using a wet hop technique with my homegrown Willamette/Nugget blend. Highly recommended.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
Pardon the lack of brains.. but, what is CYBI and is the clone recipe avail??

Oh yes.. the bell just rung.. Can You Brew It. Doh.
yup! did you ever brew that 3 gallon batch yet?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge
In my opinion every one of the Deschutes beers is excellent. Get whatever you can and I believe you will enjoy it. I have found them on sale at Albertsons supermarkets in Coeur d'Alene, so you might check the store where you are.
All things Deschutes is fantastic. Mirror Pond Pale Ale has yet to be mentioned... soooo good

Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Deschutes' Red Chair again named 'World's Best Beer'

While I don't know about "world's best beer", it's damned tasty, and I'm looking forward to seeing it back on tap ASAP.
That competition seems a little fishy. Go to their "regional results - the Americas" and you'll see that Deschutes won the award for 7 categories. Unibroue won in 5 categories. Sam Adams in 10.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1491 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Y'all are right on with the Obsidian Stout. That was a fantastic beer. Brought a bottle of Black Butte XXIV back with me that I think I'll hold on to for a little while. Had Mirror Pond while I was out that way. That one was great too.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA, Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I had Black Butte Porter. I was not impressed, nothing against the beer, just it had been hyped up to me by the staff and by a buddy and it didn't live up to the hype. Favorite Deschutes beer I had last summer was Chainbreaker IPA. I can say Mirror Pond was a close second. Normally I like porters and stouts to which is interesting.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

That Red Chair is delicious and I don't even like hoppy beers.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 447

If I read correctly, the CYBI clone recipe is for the Obsidian Stout and not the Red Chair. Last spring (when I still lived in Arizona and could get Red Chair (wish I could find it in Michigan)), I did some searching for a Red Chair clone recipe. I found a few attempts, but didn't see much follow up in terms of how close of a clone the recipes turned out to be.

I did frankenstein together a version of a recipe, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. Mostly because I'm not sure how good of a clone it would be.

Has anybody made an attempt to clone Red Chair they deemed successful?

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I must say I dislike the idea of "clone" because I would rather use the beer as an inspiration to make something that is not commercially available. I did make a beer "inspired" by Red Chair though. The basic idea is a Northwest Pale Ale that is amber with a hint of red. It has an aromatic citrus/tropical fruit burst of hop aroma and flavor, but is not a full-on hop assault like the overwrought IPAs coming out of Washington and Oregon. It uses 11 malts in total, with the red coming from melanoidin and 120L. It has medium body. "Edges out, layers in" I take to be a skiing metaphor referring to nice turns, and a smooth ride. That suggests fruity with a malty finish. This gave me the idea of using an American crystal blend, a touch of chocolate wheat, a dab of HB black, some cara aroma, melanoidin and carapils. For fun I put in some Belgian dark aroma sugar and Belgian dark Candi to bring up the OG.

I wet hopped with fresh Willamette, Fuggle and will dry hop with Simcoe and Citra. I used SD Superyeast but I am sure any nicely attenuative yeast will do.

Go for it.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
I must say I dislike the idea of "clone" because I would rather use the beer as an inspiration to make something that is not commercially available. I did make a beer "inspired" by Red Chair though. The basic idea is a Northwest Pale Ale that is amber with a hint of red. It has an aromatic citrus/tropical fruit burst of hop aroma and flavor, but is not a full-on hop assault like the overwrought IPAs coming out of Washington and Oregon. It uses 11 malts in total, with the red coming from melanoidin and 120L. It has medium body. "Edges out, layers in" I take to be a skiing metaphor referring to nice turns, and a smooth ride. That suggests fruity with a malty finish. This gave me the idea of using an American crystal blend, a touch of chocolate wheat, a dab of HB black, some cara aroma, melanoidin and carapils. For fun I put in some Belgian dark aroma sugar and Belgian dark Candi to bring up the OG.

I wet hopped with fresh Willamette, Fuggle and will dry hop with Simcoe and Citra. I used SD Superyeast but I am sure any nicely attenuative yeast will do.

Go for it.
I like the idea of original beer better, but a clone is good to see if you can do it. If you can't it might point out some of your strengths and weaknesses to work on or perfect.

Quick Reply