Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Conditioning Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
We are certainly getting off topic.. I don't have my question answered.

When we add priming sugar to a bottling bucket and bottle we have to wait for the beer to "condition". Does that simply mean carbonation? I would think that all the "clean-up" would have taken place in the primary/secondary and it is just carbonation.

I've also read about brewers commonly transferring directly from the FV to the keg with no sugar. Some "condition" and most don't... just pressurize long enough to get the proper amount of CO2 and drink.

I've seen the word "condition" used in enough different ways that I'm now truly confused.
There is some confusion in terminology- in regards to bottle or keg conditioning, we are primarily talking about just carbonating the beer by referentation of simple sugars that have been added back to the beer. This is different and distinct from the time we give beer to get good, or aging, which can also be called conditioning.

Nothing special happens to beer when you add sugar to it and allow it to referment in the bottle- just carbonation.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill
We are certainly getting off topic.. I don't have my question answered.

When we add priming sugar to a bottling bucket and bottle we have to wait for the beer to "condition". Does that simply mean carbonation? I would think that all the "clean-up" would have taken place in the primary/secondary and it is just carbonation.

I've also read about brewers commonly transferring directly from the FV to the keg with no sugar. Some "condition" and most don't... just pressurize long enough to get the proper amount of CO2 and drink.

I've seen the word "condition" used in enough different ways that I'm now truly confused.
Brewers and commercial breweries will use the term "condition" loosely to mean a couple of things. It can be used to describe bottle conditioned beer... Which is essentially beer that is racked into bottles and it naturally carbonates with or without the addition of extra sugars. It is more commonly used to describe a period where the beer is left alone to clean up/evolve/sit idly while flavors reach true potential.

I typically leave my beers in a primary fermenter for at least 14 days, then move them over to a secondary fermenter for at least a week. While they are sitting in this secondary, they are conditioning. The beer is basically done fermenting, though I may see a 1 or 2 pt drop in gravity during this time.

Did we do a little better with our answers?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep.. I guess my beers are conditioned I do the same as you, Carson.. ~3 weeks in primary.. cold crash in the cooler for a week and bottle/keg. This last batch I racked to a bucket with sugar and put half in a 3 gallon keg and the rest in bottles. I guess, even with the sugar in the beer, I can carb and drink the keg beer.. but, I think I'll let both bottles and keg sit for one week anyhow.. then put in the cold box for a week.. including the keg under pressure.

The term has always been a bit confusing. I've always used it to mean after bottling.. but, sounds like my beers have already 'conditioned' after my normal process. Have plenty of pipeline so not in a hurry to tap.

Thanks

Quick Reply