Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > conditioning/aging ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default conditioning/aging ?

I have read where people say you can make a wheat and be drinking it in 4-5 weeks and my cream ale that tasted great in like 5 weeks, then I have also read where people age different beers for months and even years. The question is, is there a general rule of thumb for how long to age a beer? Like the more alcohol the longer you age, or the darker the style the longer you age, or a combination of the two, or some other factor. Or do you just age them however much you want and keep trying one every couple weeks until they taste good?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Almost across the board, Patience pays off.

Anything will be better at 3 maonths than at 1.

If there is a rule, it is that higher ABV beers need longer to really be in their prime.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
I have read where people say you can make a wheat and be drinking it in 4-5 weeks and my cream ale that tasted great in like 5 weeks, then I have also read where people age different beers for months and even years. The question is, is there a general rule of thumb for how long to age a beer? Like the more alcohol the longer you age, or the darker the style the longer you age, or a combination of the two, or some other factor. Or do you just age them however much you want and keep trying one every couple weeks until they taste good?
As cheesydemon said, the bigger the beer the better they will be with aging. How long? You answered that yourself - crack one every few weeks until your happy with it. This is a very good learning exercise as you will be astounded how different the beer tastes over time.

Patience, the hardest brewing technique to master....

GT

Quick Reply