Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > concrete fermenters??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #101
DannyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Now, one of use just needs to build one and try it with beer (a small open one first) The breathing concrete would be an non-issue with the sort beer fermentation,

So who's up for it............New tread, picks, and final results???(sould be a breez with all the engineers on here.......or are they the "nay sayers"?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #102
elswago
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
Now, one of use just needs to build one and try it with beer (a small open one first) The breathing concrete would be an non-issue with the sort beer fermentation,

So who's up for it............New tread, picks, and final results???(sould be a breez with all the engineers on here.......or are they the "nay sayers"?)
Planning on it when I return home.

On site right now hard to do in a hotel room.

Should have something worth discussing in 1-2 months

Proof is in the puddin!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #103
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very interesting, I wonder what admix they use in the crete? They can add admixes that make it impervious to absorption and dusting. I guess the egg shape keeps it from cracking. really an interesting product. I've worked in the concrete industry for 25 years. Made mix designs for all kinds of projects, but I've never seen a mix for counter tops and the like. I could see the benefits of how it works. Would love to see that mix design and what they put in it.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #104
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Thanks Elswago for that, it does sound like a good idea for unoaked wines. And I take back my comment of tasting like cement (was a joke really since waterpipes are cement and I get no flavour out of them).
However for beer the rason for aging on oak is to get the oak flavour and possibly Brett fermentation so aging beer in concrete would lead to an oxidised beer with no benificial flavours right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elswago View Post
Winemakers are rediscovering concrete as a winemaking tool, a standard in Europe for centuries. Sonoma Cast Stone has developed state of the art concrete technology, blending the benefits of both oak and stainless in one tank. No wonder concrete is gaining in popularity.

Concrete provides the benefits of oak and the efficiency of stainless while producing a fine wine.

Concrete is somewhat porous allowing it to breathe like oak, concentrating the wine while gently diffusing oxygen without adding oak character.

Concrete is neutral, like stainless, imparting no flavors of its own, contributing to the flavor profile of the wine. Wines have more fruit expression and a greater richness.

Thick concrete walls aid in consistent temperature retention. Glycol tubing can be uniformly embedded into the cast concrete to provide for precision temperature control spread evenly throughout the tank.

Our concrete tanks are unlined, allowing for a slow but steady stream of oxygen to enter during fermentation and aging.

Tanks are crafted with non-chlorinated water and no chemical additives.

Our concrete tanks are lighter and stronger than tanks of similar size, allowing for greater volume while still maximizing maneuverability with a winery forklift.

Concrete is easy to clean with a longer life span than oak tanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #105
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

just by means of how we handle beer/wort, there is a larger chance of oxidation then in a fermenter alone (state many times around here) plastic is also said to "breathe", but its all I use, yes...given that concrete might be a little more breathable, but still an non issue (like to see anybody breathe through a wall) In even so, just just a bit of back pressure should solve it (and lose a pint of to through absorbsion)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #106
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Cement is less porous than wood. Gee.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #107
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We just received a concrete fermenter at our winery. Came all the way from France. It's a slightly tapered cylinder. The egg ones are for whites (we do pinot noir). Not lined. We'll see how it compares to stainless by splitting a lot into both types of tanks of a similar size.

Quick Reply